Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#20321 - 02/15/02 07:47 PM May Itenerary Suggestions
diffnstein Offline

Loc: Tucson
Hello- I have been reading these postings for a few weeks and have gathered quite a bit of great information for our May trip to Spain. Our first ever! (My first trip to Europe & my husband's first since H.S. Yay!!) We plan to be in Spain for about two weeks. Here is our itenerary. Is there anything we shouldn't miss?

Travel Day
Day1-3 Madrid & Seville
Day 4-10 Nerja (We have rented a house for one week and hope to do day trips from there. Is a day trip to Gibraltar realistic? or Arcos de la Frontera?)
Day 11-14 Driving Priego de Cordoba & Cordoba
Day 15-16 Back to Madrid. (Depart day 16)
What do you all think?
Thanks for any suggestions: hotel, restaurants, sights, tips.
Thanks!

#20322 - 02/15/02 11:52 PM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. This is really involved, but I'll just comment on the schedule itself. First of all, you're not going to see ANY of Madrid. This is a true shame. In your Day-1, this will be your arrival day and I'd guess you'll spend the day and night in Madrid and leave for Sevilla in the morning on Day 2 & 3. One day in Madrid really isn't enough to see much of anything outside of Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, some Gran Vía, and maybe some of Huertas, all on the day when you'll be most tired from your trip.

But hey, I'm not SO narrow-minded to think that Madrid is a necessity for everyone (as it is for ME! laugh ). Just don't try to do TOO much or you won't see anything.

If I had the same number of days and had 1-week reservations at a house in Nerja, I'd probably head STRAIGHT from the airport in Madrid to Atocha and your AVE train (if that's what you're taking - I'm guessing you are) and skip Madrid alltogether, eek spend an extra day (or two) in Sevilla.

Have a GREAT time in Spain! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20323 - 02/16/02 12:38 AM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
diffnstein Offline

I know, I know. And I, for some reason (the influence of this site?) am completely fascinated my the idea of Madrid. Walking, eating, looking, breakfasting on churros con chocolate! Perhaps we will re-think the last part of the trip and return a bit earlier to Madrid.
Too many choices! Y todos estupendos! Thanks for your comments.
Saludos-
diffnstein

#20324 - 02/17/02 05:42 AM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
diffnstein writes:
Quote:
Hello- ... We plan to be in Spain for about two weeks. Here is our itenerary. Is there anything we shouldn't miss? ...
What do you all think? ...
Yes, you can do a daytrip to Gibraltar. Arcos would be 'stretching' it a bit. Ronda would be an easier daytrip destination from Nerja. Arcos is more like a daytrip from Sevilla. If you choose Arcos and it's early May, you might as well continue to el Puerto de Santa Maria for the feria de Primavera. rolleyes

May is an excellent month for Spain: After the feria de la Primavera in el Puerto de Santa Maria (Cadiz) you can either head for Madrid for the San Isidro festivities celebrating Madrid's Patron Saint (May 15); or you can stay in Andalucia for the biggest thing in May: a feria dedicated to la Virgen del Rocio in Huelva. It happens for three days before and one day after Pentecost Sunday (WhitSunday) which was Jun 3rd last year (I was there!) and is on May 19th this year. The Santuario is on the western edge of Donana wildlife preserve a few km south of the village of Almonte. It's a romeria that anyone will tell you drew close to a million participants last year (Police estimate: around 500,000). eek

I get the impression that you'll be driving a rental car. If it were me I would pick up a rental car in Sevilla, before heading out for Nerja. Several Car Rental Agencies have locations at Santa Justa rail station. If you were going to be in Madrid longer (i.e., for daytrips) it might be advisable to rent a car there but having a car and no place to park it safely can be more of a liability than an asset. rolleyes

You do have some slack in your schedule: day 11 - 14. Unless you have some pressing reason for your routing, consider driving back to Sevilla and dropping off your rental at Santa Justa station. You can daytrip to Cordoba on AVE (1-hour each way) or just plan an overnight stop in Cordoba & continue on to Madrid. That should 'buy' you a day or two more in Madrid. cool

MadridMan writes:
Quote:
... I'd probably head STRAIGHT from the airport in Madrid to Atocha and your AVE train ... and skip Madrid alltogether ...
eek
'Skip Cordoba:' yes; 'skip Gibraltar:' yes! But 'skip Madrid:' Nunca Jamas! rolleyes

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20325 - 02/17/02 05:06 PM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
diffnstein Offline

Thanks Eddie for the information about Huelva. Sounds great.
Here is how our itenerary is shaping up:
Day one (Wed) -Madrid to adjust to the time change and correct the effects of sleep deprivation (we won't kid ourselves about seeing much although we are planning on TRYING to stay awake)
Day 2-3 (Thurs & Fri) Seville (Perhaps Huelva at this point?) We may rent a car here or in Malaga- not sure yet.
Day 4-10(Sat-Fri) Nerja with a few day trips (like Granada, Ronda, Gibraltar, a day hike in the Sierra de Tejeda -don't worry, all separate trips)
Day 10-13 (Sat-Mon) Not sure yet- Cordoba & back to Seville? Cordoba and on to Madrid? We'll see.
Day 14-15 (Tues & Wed) Madrid
Day 16 (Thurs) Leave Madrid (wishing we had seen more of it and busily planning our return trip!)

The reason we have chosen to stay in Nerja for one week is because my mom, sister, mother-in-law, father-in-law, father?, friend, are going to meet us there! Crazy?! Not really as crazy as it sounds. All of us have been dying to travel to Spain for a while (well, not my father so much) but thought it WOULD be crazy to try and do it together. SO we decided to choose a place to meet for week and enjoy a bit of Spain in each other's company. (We will rent a car during this time.)
Then we will all go our separate ways and see particular things we want to see without trying to deal a large group and such things as time tables. Aargh!
That's the scoop.
In the back of my mind is the refrain "the best laid plans." But half the fun, for me, is imagining the trip.
Thanks for this site -and all who dwell here-which helps my imagination to roam.
Saludos,
Barbara

#20326 - 02/17/02 05:19 PM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
diffnstein - I have had the same dilemma about how to spend my 12 days in Spain and especially regarding how much time to spend in Madrid. Here is my schedule (travelling solo):
May 3 - arrive Madrid 4:30 pm. I assume this will be a jetlag writeoff but hopefully I will find some energy to be part of the Friday night marcha
May 4,5 - Madrid. Wander on Saturday, Sunday the Rastro, maybe a bullfight or the Real Madrid match. Perhaps the Prado. Who knows? I don't want to stress!
May 6 - Daytrip to Toledo
May 7 - Madrid to Granada
May 8 - Granada with the day being booked for the Alhambra, a can't miss for me.
May 9 - Granada to Seville
May 10 to 13 - Seville with a couple of daytrips, especially Cadiz.
May 14 - Seville to Madrid. If I'm up to it I may stop in Cordoba on the way just to visit la Mesquita (sp.?) I also get another half day in Madrid and need to get a decent sleep for my May 15 morning flight home.
May 15 - Fly home 9:30am

After every vacation I always vow that the next one I take will be centered in one city or town only to decrease the travel stress. But, as you can see, with 12 days it's very hard to do and I hope I am not too burnt out with this one.
Good luck!

Dargus

#20327 - 02/18/02 05:37 AM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I, for one, like to get where I am going the day of arrival, whether it be Sevilla (AVE), Alicante or Galicia (Talgo), Santander or Bilbao (Motorcoach). I save Madrid for my last stop because I'm going to do some shopping there anyway and I don't want to be burdened carrying the stuff I buy all around Spain. eek
I'll probably catch a few catnaps on the Bus or Train that first day; and by the next AM I am fine. cool
So, undoubtedly that's what MM was saying when I misinterpreted his motives rolleyes

#20328 - 02/19/02 10:36 PM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
diffnstein Offline

Really good point about the shopping! I think I will try to resist loading myself down until the end.

And it looks like the best fare that I can find so far, will get us into Madrid in the early p.m. So we will probably go onto Seville the next morning and spend a couple of days in Madrid at the end. (Still not enough, I know.)

I am getting very excited about the trip. Think of practically nothing else.

Thanks again, diffnstein

#20329 - 02/22/02 06:09 AM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
cubatex Offline

Loc: Middle East
diff,

I agree with Eddie on his recomendation of Ronda. Very pretty setting, with great views around the city. There is also one of the oldest, if not the oldest, bull fighting rings in Spain there as well. My family and I did this trip from near Estepona, where we were staying. We had a great lunch there as well, while the kids napped.

You should take advantage of your few days in Madrid. If a day trip is planned, I would go to Toledo orr Segovia. The Prado Museum is a must if you like art. Try to go see "la guernica" by Pablo Picasso. I understand it is not in the Prado but in a museum in Retiro Park.

Enjoy the trip,
cubatex

#20330 - 02/22/02 01:27 PM Re: May Itenerary Suggestions
Senga Offline

Loc: Atlanta
Hi, I went to Sapin last september and would like to add a few places to see if you can.

Day 1 - arrive , recover go into town and wander around, eat tapas, drink yummy Sangria. Remember, if you stay out too late, you will not see sights. A tough trade off sometimes. If you get Rick Steves book, do at least one of his little walking tours. I felt Madrid was safe....lots of people all around, just use common sense. A good thing to do 1 st day or sso, is the double decker bus tours. A good way to get an overview of the city, on-off priveledges. See the palace and Gardens. Lovely.Also you can check out areas you like and go back there. Also , if you are tired, you can rest and still take in the sights!

Day 2, go to Toledo. Do not miss this! We went only for a few hours, because Air France lost our luggage, and we had to wait around all day for it!Argh! I wish I could have spent 2 days ther.

Day 3 (if Sunday, go to El Rastro, there are good deals there! Go to the museum area, beautiful or get on one of the double decker buses.

Make a list of stuff you want to do, and do 3 of them. Don't push it too much.

Seville, It is one of my happy places! I loved it! A great place to walk and enjoy a town.

The prices in the shops there aff the main drag, are fair. Less than Madrid. Use your guide books. DEfinitely buy you r porttery in Triana. Remember different regions have different pottery and handicrafts. If you see something you like, get it. You may not see it again.

Do not miss Granada. Though I think one day is really pushing it. Order your tickets ahead of time to see the Alhambra. Bring water with you...it gets very hot there! In October it was 90 degrees! See the Mirador San Sebastian, go to the cathedral and pay homage to Ferdinand and Isabell. Don't forget to thank them for giving Venture capital to Columbus.

Do not forget some beachtime, vacation are for relaxing as well.

Train system as well as the bus system was great. Very easy to catch a taxi from train stations and go to your final destination point.

People do not speak as much English as in ITaly, but ar ehelpful if you know or attempt a little Spanish. Have a great time!!

Also, I fell in love with bull fighting. I went boith in Madrid and Seville. It was fantastic! It is all about contrast: Life vs death, Man vs. Nature, pagentry, live music. it is something to see, especially iof 14,000 people are screaming Ole! You will find your self cought up in the ballet-like movements of these men , who do have a death wish.

HAve a great time!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2561 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments