Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20090 - 12/23/01 01:16 AM Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
mugal28 Offline

Loc: chicago area
Last year, I spent a semester living & studying in Madrid...now, I am taking my entire family (mom, dad, 13 yr old brother, 16 yr old sister) on a 2 week vacation in my favorite city. Mom's worried because of 9/11, Dad thinks tacos are from Spain (shame on him!), sister speaks SOME Spanish, brother has no clue this is going to be FUN! As I said, we are going to be there for 2 weeks (over New Yrs. & Reyes) & I get to play tour guide- any things you can think of that I can't forget to show them? Here's what I have so far...
Sol
Prado
Thyssen
Reina Sofia
Calle Princesa
Mirador del Faro
Reyes Parade on 1/6
Gran Via
Plaza de Espana
Plaza Mayor
Real Madrid game
Retiro
tapas bar
Museo del Jamon
Botin
Palacio Real
Rastro
Hard Rock

I know a lot of these things are extra 'touristy,' so bear with me! I fear that we will have days left & I won't know what else to "show them." I'm thinking a couple day trips would be nice too- Toledo, mom wants to go to Sevilla for a day (think we could swing it on the Ave?) In any case, all help is appreciated- I'm definitely feeling the pressure here!! eek

kathy

#20091 - 12/23/01 10:42 AM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Kathy - What a great daughter you are! You might want to consider going on a tapas tour with Andres (board member) and also getting in touch with Stephen Drake-Jones ( Wellington tours ) - both recommended by MM. The tapas tour would give your sister a chance to perhaps meet some people her age and the Drake-Jones tour is unique - fun - all the really old Madrid nooks and crannies with a wealth of trivia that's wonderful.

Sometimes the greatest joy in Madrid is sitting with a cafe con leche and people watching.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#20092 - 12/23/01 11:09 AM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
There are several things comming to my mind that are worth of visiting near Madrid:

1) San Lorenzo de El Escorial. An incredible monastry-palace ordered by Felipe II.
2) La Granja. A Palace built by Felipe V, the first Bourbon king, in a Versalles french style.
3) Aranjuez's Palace. Very nice...
4) Las murallas de Avila.
5) Segovia (roman's acueducto)
6) Pinar de Balsaín (near Navacerrada's pass, there is an incredible forest of the unique red pines of Balsaín in a valley).
7) How a soccer match of the Real Madrid?
8) Skiing at Valdesquí
9) Opera and Theater
10) Concerts at the Auditorium
11) The Retiro Park
12) Typical restaurants

Enjoy!

Fernando

#20093 - 12/23/01 11:16 AM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:

... I'm thinking a couple day trips would be nice too- Toledo, mom wants to go to Sevilla for a day (think we could swing it on the Ave?)...

It's possible. I have done it: departing Madrid on the 07:30 AVE (arr Sevilla 10:00) and returning from Sevilla on the 20:00 AVE (arr Madrid 22:30). It's tight! Unless you know exactly where you are going, it can be a very expensive folly (AVE isn't cheap even with the same-day return discount). eek

Segovia's a nice day-trip, especially if you can handle roast suckling pig or lamb at one of its excellent restaurants. El Escorial is another (for the San Lorenzo monastery), and Avila isn't too far away. I like Alcala de Henares, Miguel de Cervantes' birthplace, which you can reach by public transportation

Although I've heard unfavorable reports, I always make it a point to stop at Madrid's Parque del buen Retiro (Retiro park) after Mass on Sunday. There are mimes and street entertainers of many vatieties (and they're not agressive, like they are at Fishermen's Wharf in San Francisco). rolleyes

BTW
I think the Reyes Magos come the night of January 5th (the parade, that is); and when you are visiting the Palacio Réal, take time to visit Plaza de Oriente (across the Avda.) and the statues of los Reyes 'Godos' (the Visigoth Kings). You can learn a lot of the history of Spain there. cool

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20094 - 01/07/02 03:39 AM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
ralphy Offline

Loc: Australia
i recommend going to the Sofia Museum. One of the highlights for me in Madrid was seeing Miro's works there. Absolutely brilliant. Overshadowed Picasso's Guernica for me. You can see Miro's painting that Im sure Speilberg got his idea for ET.
Another highlight is Plaza del Sol, and a bar called "La Taurina" not far from Plaza Sol down Carrera de san jeronimo. greet tourist bar if ever i saw one. bull heads on the walls. great pics of bullfights over the years.
2 streets also that i think are beautiful and a do not miss are : Paseo de Recoletos
and Paseo del Prado.
Also the statue of Don Quixote and sancho Panza in the Plaza de Espana.

#20095 - 01/07/02 10:31 AM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
If you go to the Reina Sofia museum and understand Spanish well, they have free (with admission) guided tours in Spanish of museum highlights a couple of times a week. We did this last time we were in Madrid and it was great. It was practically a private tour (just the two of us and an Argentinian family).

#20096 - 01/19/02 09:53 PM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Two words, churros y chocolate!

#20097 - 01/20/02 07:11 AM Re: Can't Miss in Madrid...!?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Walk up Plaza de la Paja and look left when you get to Pasaje de Anglona st. Why looking left? because you will be staring at "La Torre de San Pedro" the first sign (if you are traveling from the north to the south)that the christian world starts losing clarity and a new one gain sharpness (does anyone know which?) what an amazing crossroad of cultures Spain is.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2685 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments