Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19630 - 07/09/01 12:17 AM Mostoles, Madrid
sierrabaire Offline

Loc: California
Hello! I am going to be studying in Madrid coming up in the fall and will be living in Mostoles. I was wondering what the city was like from a personal standpoint. I have found things on the web giving info about Mostoles but wanted an inside view. Does anyone have any comments or knowledge of Mostoles? It sounds wonderful, as does Madrid itself. Please write if you can help!
Thank you much.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: sierrabaire ]

#19631 - 07/09/01 08:33 AM Re: Mostoles, Madrid
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, Mostoles in a working class town of 100.000 or 200.000 about 25 Km from Madrid. That you may know yet, by the page you saw. But this also means (to me) that, except from the fun you may have with your friends from the University, there are few things to do and see there.

There is nightlife there, but if I were you, I would live in Madrid and travel each day to Mostoles better than live there.

#19632 - 07/10/01 07:55 AM Re: Mostoles, Madrid
v diaz Offline

Loc: madrid
Mostoles is a typical satellite city of the south of Madrid.
Now is not as dependant of Madrid as it was in the 70's and have university, hospital, commercial centers, sport installations and some industries surrounding the city.
In fact is the second city of the region after Madrid. If you have to live there and study in Madrid, be prepared for spending at least 1 hour a day for going up to Madrid. You were lucky if you live close to one of the two Renfe stations, as this is the fastest way for going to Madrid everyday.

It's not an historic city as Alcala de Henares, but a worker class, wher you may find cheaper apartments for rent than in Madrid. It's mainly blocks and blocks of flats, but quieter than Madrid. Some newer areas are single houses, around the bullring.

Communications: National V to Madrid, about 20 km far from the Puerta del Sol.
Renfe cercanias: 2 stations: Mostoles, El Soto
Area for transports: B2
Buses: several ofDe Blas y Cia company to Madrid, others to Fuenlabrada and Loranca.
Closest towns in order of importance: Alcorcon, Loranca and Fuenlabrada, Villaviciosa de Odon, Navalcarnero, Arroyomolinos.

Parks: the biggest is at El Soto (were Festimad take place)

River:Guadarrama, very far from the center, carries water all the year (in spain many rivers turn dry in summer) but is not very clean.

University: Juan Carlos I
Hospital:in the south of mostoles
Commercial Centers: Carrefour at El Soto,
Alcampo and many shops at Loranca
Alcampo and some other big commercial centers at Parque Oeste Alcorcon.

MetroSur:under construction-->many streets closed to traffic

Pubs: at the north in the entrance from alcorcon , and some other places. (a couple of them are really big)

links:
renfe: www.renfe.es
transports in madrid: www.ctm-madrid.es/
buses to madrid:
personal.redestb.es/empresadeblas/index.html
university: www.urjc.es

need more help?? :-)

#19633 - 07/28/01 11:47 AM Re: Mostoles, Madrid
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Ok, I will not go into Móstoles as a "city" but it is a typical "Dormitory City" and while family filled and pretty, it is asboooooring as Ignacio says it is and then some frown .

I have a few web clients there and whenever I have to go see them I am always awaiting the moment I return to central Madrid.

When I was studying here years ago through an American College, our school was in Madrid city and I lived outside of the city (a metro + train ride away). I regret having chosen that place to live but the room I rented was very cheap so I had little choice.

My advice as someone who has lived in central Madrid for 5 years, LIVE IN MADRID CENTER and commute to the school in Móstoles (assuming that is where it is from your post).

Your living environment can influence your impression of Madrid and Spain in general, I would hate for you to be turned off to such an amazing place.

Saludos,
jer...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1635 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments