Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18933 - 02/27/01 10:40 PM Driving from Salamanca to Toledo through mountains in March?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, everyone--
We're finalizing our plans for our trip to Spain in TWO DAYS and my friend Cindy (who lived in Spain for eight years--I'm so jealous!) suggested that we try to get to Candelario, near Bejar.

We have one day to spend driving from Salamanca to Toledo, so we thought of the following: Salamanca to Candelario, lunch in Candelario, then drive into the mountains to see the toros de Guisando (four stone bulls standing in a field--my husband is intrigued and wants to visit them), then south to Talavera de la Reina and on to Toledo.

Good plan for early March? Will we be up to our knees in snowdrifts? Are all of those places worth visiting? Has anyone else seen those stone bulls? Are they hard to find?

The countdown goes on!

[This message has been edited by taravb (edited 02-27-2001).]

#18934 - 02/28/01 05:14 AM Re: Driving from Salamanca to Toledo through mountains in March?
Miguelito Offline

There are big snow predictions for today, I don't know which road you will take, you better ask someone in Segovia or phone the Dirección General de Tráfico before going if it's still cold and snowing. I haven't visit any of those places but they are very famous. Have you seen any photograph of Toros de Guisando?

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 02-28-2001).]

#18935 - 03/12/01 04:13 PM Re: Driving from Salamanca to Toledo through mountains in March?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Okay, I just wanted to update this topic...we did our drive from Candelario (near Bejar) to Toledo, though we didn't see the bulls. It was getting too dark, so we didn't bother and headed toward Talavera instead. I have to say, part of that drive was the SCARIEST drive EVER! While going through the mountain pass, we were up in the clouds/fog, in the rain, with ZERO visibility! Even with the well-marked roads (and the roads were remarkably good, even in the mountains--the one that has just been built near the Parador de Gredos was great), it was terrifying! Thank goodness that part only lasted about 15 minutes, but it was a LONG 15 minutes, I must say!

Still, the mountain drive was lovely, even with the rain--I highly recommend it--and Candelario was worth it, even in the rain (again!).

Tara

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1643 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments