Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18862 - 02/19/01 02:57 AM museum tours in English? Audio Guides? (Madrid)
jami dunderdale Offline

Loc: usa
I have not seen audio guides listed as being available in the Madrid museums. Are they available. If not, where would I find an english speaking museum guide. thanks

#18863 - 02/19/01 06:34 AM Re: museum tours in English? Audio Guides? (Madrid)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I believe the Museo del Prado has audio guides.
In the Palacio Réal you just wait until the next English speaking tour (The Palacio Réal doesn't allow people to just 'wander' like in many museums).

#18864 - 02/19/01 07:18 AM Re: museum tours in English? Audio Guides? (Madrid)
jami dunderdale Offline

Thanks for the info. My 12 year old son really enjoys listening to the audio guides. If they were not available and there were no museum led english tours I would gladly hire someone. I'll keep seeking for a definative answer. We leave March 20.

#18865 - 02/19/01 05:40 PM Re: museum tours in English? Audio Guides? (Madrid)
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I'm not sure about what you mean by "audio guides". If you are refering to this kind of explanation you get through a cordless phone you carry around the museum, I think they don't have it at the Prado museum. I think they have it at the Museo de Ciencias Naturales .

Eddie, as for the Royal Palace, you can wander around it without a guide (I've done it myself) but you'll take the most out of the Palace with a professional guide.

By the way jami, you can hire a guide but note that only professional acredited guides from Patromonio Nacional are allowed to guide you in those places (Royal Palace, Monasterio de El Escorial...). To become a Patrominio Nacional guide, you have to pass a very difficult exam about history and art and they don't allow any other professional guides to take you inside those buildings.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#18866 - 02/19/01 09:04 PM Re: museum tours in English? Audio Guides? (Madrid)
jami dunderdale Offline

Antonio, thank you for your imput as to the museum guides. I was indeed refering to the hand held audio guides. We have used them at most of the major museums in london, paris, rome, etc and for special exhibits and found them enlightening. If they are not available I would definately like to have a a museum guide. Ofcourse I would hope that the guide is qualified. I have emailed the Prado with a request for information concerning guides. If you can think of any other venue to find a guide for the prado or the other major museums I would be most grateful. Thanks again for your input.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1672 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments