Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18354 - 11/30/00 07:10 AM Madrid to Morocco
mjames8258 Offline

Loc: houston, texas u.s.a.
I had posed this question in the lodging forum only to be severely scolded! Thought I had moved it over to here and hadn't. Here's the question: I am going to be in Madrid in March. Was thinking about going to Morocco (just to say I have been there) for the day. Apparently there a lot of options. Was thinking about the train to Gibraltar. Is there a better point of entry? Would like to have some ideas as to the best place to go once there.

#18355 - 11/30/00 08:10 AM Re: Madrid to Morocco
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hehehe... Yup. It's true. But it wasn't all that severe. Hopefully my sarcasm comes across well in text form. I think I said something like "And... you hope to find lodging on the train?? Note forum name." Hehhee.. Time to get out the wet noodle. I moved your previous posting to the Transportation forum just now.

I've always, sort of, wanted to go to Morocco, but after hearing so few good things about it I think I've changed my mind. I'm sure there are a number of message board members who have visited Morocco from Spain and I know *I* would love to hear about it too, including best entry points. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#18356 - 11/30/00 09:27 AM Re: Madrid to Morocco
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Oops! Sorry MadridMan, but when I replied to this one I mentioned the overnight train, beds available, from Madrid. Haha! Over to you....will you move it back again?

#18357 - 12/05/00 10:51 AM Re: Madrid to Morocco
alicetruck Offline

Loc: NY
Well, I am about to make that trip, sort of ... I actually have not ever been to Morocco, but I should say that I am very excited about it. I have read quite a lot and it seems that the easiest day trip is to take the ferry from Algeciras (2 and a half hours)to Tangier. Problem is, Tangier is apparently a typical border town, full of hustlers. Supposedly (and I feel lame for passing on info when I have not actually experienced it for myself)it is about like wanting to go to Mexico and settling for Tijuana. The advice I have gotten, over and over again, is to leave the ferry and immediately get to the train station and go further south. It takes 6 hours to get to Fes. Another town that has been recommended is Chefchaouen, which is a bit closer. anyhow, if you can spare at least a few more days, I think it might be worth it...
It is pretty cheap .. probably half or a third of the cost of travelling in Spain. Car rental is much more expensive, though, and Spanish rental companies are probably not going to let you take a car into Morocco.

I am not going from Madrid, but I imagine you would switch trains in Sevilla. You could make Tangier be a day trip, but not from Madrid, as getting down to Algeciras would easily take half a day.

#18358 - 12/05/00 09:02 PM Re: Madrid to Morocco
Joy Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
My husband and I are going to Madrid at the end of this month and are also planning to trip into Morocco. I have also read (Rick Steves is the source) that Tangier is much like Tijuana, and not to bother much with it. We have read extensively and have determined that we are going to Fez and Rabat. I have been told that Fez is the spiritual and cultural center of Morocco, and that it's very peaceful and beautiful. Rick Steves also says that Rabat is the most "European" of Morocco's major cities. I don't exactly know what that means, and I'm also not sure I'm going to Africa to find the most "European" city, but it is supposed to be beautiful, and it's the capital. The train loop is a fairly easy one. Chefchaouen (sp?), I've also heard is nice. Also, when we get back, we'll let you know what we thought, for what it's worth.

#18359 - 12/06/00 05:33 AM Re: Madrid to Morocco
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Morocco is definitely not a 'day-trip' from Madrid (unless you fly both ways). I like Rabat and Fes. Ifrane is nice. Marrakech is also very nice (if time permits). Skip Tangier. Casablanca is a major Port city and has some attractions (Golf in Mohammedia, for example), but I prefer Lisbon.

#18360 - 12/06/00 10:10 AM Re: Madrid to Morocco
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Rabat is a beautiful city - very French - not surprising when you consider the history.
Back streets will introduce you to the Moroccan side of Rabat - but unless you are game to wander - the city feels very French

#18361 - 12/07/00 11:29 PM Re: Madrid to Morocco
mjames8258 Offline

Loc: houston, texas u.s.a.
Well, now that I have decided to go to Amsterdam for a couple of days, I guess that I will not plan on Morocco. Somehow, I just think Amsterdam MIGHT be just a bit more fun ! Since I will only be in Spain for 10 days, I feel as if I would be cheating myself to not spend time as much time as possible there. It is still 3 months until I leave; yet am already dreading coming home!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2712 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments