Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#18118 - 10/08/00 05:47 PM christmas? any ideas?
cran Offline

We will be in Spain for christmas and new years. Any feedback on:
1. the best cities between Madrid and the coast to be at, on the 25th and the 31st?
2. suggestions on activities (with children)?
3. any gotchas (restaurants, hotels, etc).

Thanks in advance!

#18119 - 10/08/00 11:11 PM Re: christmas? any ideas?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, Cran,

As for activities to do with children, take a look in the thread "Itinerary for Two Weeks in November," in this section. Scroll down about two thirds the way, and you'll see a list of things to do in Madrid with kids.

During Christmas you should definitely take them to the Christmas market that goes on daily in the Plaza Mayor. It's a wonderful place and time to buy figures for a nativity scene. (They're called belénes in Spanish.) They are very elaborate in Spain. Some are downright funny, even. You may also want to pop into all the churches you go by, to see the incredible belénes they have displayed. Also, there are streets outside the Plaza Mayor, I believe to the west/northwest, that have many religious shops. They tend to have more than the usual selection of exquisite nativity figurines at that time.

If you are still in Spain for Epiphany, you can experience the parade of the coming of the Reyes Magos (the Wise Men) during the night before. Madrid has a very impressive parade that ends up in the Plaza Mayor, complete with real camels. Other cities and larger towns across Spain have parades that night as well. Before that night the children can give their letters of requests for presents to the servants of the Kings, who are usually dressed in magnificent costumes, and are conveniently located by the big stores, like el Corte Ingles. You'll probably see them more often than you'll see a Santa Claus.

On New Year's Eve the place to be in Madrid is the Puerta del Sol, where a glittering ball comes down a tower at midnight, Times Square style. The atmosphere is festive, and it's crowded. Wherever you end up that night, be sure to eat 12 grapes each, one for every stroke of the clock, at midnight. (Beware - the grapes usually have pits!) If you can do it, you'll have good luck in the new year.

I'll leave the info on cities, restaurants and hotels to the rest of the crowd here. Personally, I like Madrid! Search around - there's a lot of info on these boards on restaurants and hotels in Madrid.

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 10-08-2000).]

#18120 - 10/09/00 11:34 AM Re: christmas? any ideas?
Guynes Offline

Loc: Livingston, AL, USA
My wife and I were in Toledo on Christmas day last year and it was great. We went to mass at the cathedral and really had a quite day of it strolling through the city with almost all businesses closed. The problem with touring over Christmas, as you would expect, is that most places shut down. Our hotel in Toledo (Hostal Cardenal) had a special dinner for its clients only -- otherwise, it can be difficult to find a restaurant and other than eating and walking the city streets there's not much to do -- which is what we wanted, but you may not. It may be best to stay in a large city like Madrid on Christmas day if you'll be in need of something more exciting to do and a wider selection of restaurants.

I'd also agree with Diana, Madrid's the place to be on New Year's Day. We were there for the milennium and it was quite a show. As you may know, people in Madrid know how to party.
------------------
Jason Guynes
jguynes@uwa.edu
Livingston, AL, USA

[This message has been edited by Guynes (edited 10-09-2000).]

#18121 - 10/09/00 05:38 PM Re: christmas? any ideas?
balanceok Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK USA
Don't forget to try the Polvorones. This is a Christmas cookie that is available generally only during the holiday season. Very unique, but good too.

------------------
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."

#18122 - 10/09/00 08:30 PM Re: christmas? any ideas?
cran Offline

Great!
So it looks like New Years in Madrid it is. Our itinerary will then let us do Christmas eve at a castle Parador in Jaen (kids will love it), and Christmas day in Granada. Any experiences with Christmas in Granada? Ideas?

#18123 - 10/09/00 09:03 PM Re: christmas? any ideas?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi, again!

I've never done Christmas in Granada (only Madrid and a pueblo in Aragon), but I thought I should warn you that Christmas eve and day are very quiet times in Spain, when families get together for big, delicious meals, and basically stay indoors. As Guynes said, most things are shut down. My earlier post may have been misleading. When I talk about Christmas in Spain, I'm refering to the whole season, which begins on Dec. 24, and ends Jan. 5. Traditionally, gifts are given on Epiphany (although that's changing for children, who like to get toys on Christmas so they can play throughout the school holiday).

Just wanted to clarify that!
I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you are in Spain!

Diana

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1586 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments