Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90850 - 04/20/12 12:15 PM avila/segovia guided tour from madrid
texas1947 Offline

We are staying in Madrid in early June '12 and would like to know if anyone can suggest a good day tour of avila and segovia. I have read nothing but bad reviews of the big bus tours and the private tours seem very expensive. Don't mind a bus tour if it is enjoyable. Any suggestions?

#90853 - 04/20/12 01:25 PM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: texas1947]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
never take tours, you can do so independant, the tourist office can help with itineraries and leaflets. Great town of Avila and Segovia, I am sure the tourist office does tours there,look them up in google

#90860 - 04/21/12 07:15 AM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: pedmar]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I agree with Pedmar. Find transportation to Avila and Segovia via bus or train (unless you are renting a car) Those towns are easy to walk and you can spend your time lingering at what interests you. Both of them are very special places to me. Have a great visit.

#90861 - 04/21/12 06:23 PM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I agree with all the above .. Don't do the tours . Walking around Segovia , Avila , Toledo etc .. you will just stumble upon little old streets you'd never be taken to in the tour . Maybe follow Pedmar's advice and go to the touris office . Pick up a free map and recognise the 'must see ' things but DEFINITELY leave time to just wander .. sit at a bar , have a coffee or a glass of wine .. watch the people and get a feeling for the town . I always buy some postcards when I visit a town and sit in a bar and try and explain to my friends and family the 'spirit ' of where I am .. The smells , the language , the people . As Teachertraveler8 points out , these towns are easy to walk around and , after all , Spain is a laid back country so just go with the flow .

#90866 - 04/23/12 12:15 PM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: steve robinson]
texas1947 Offline

I will take your advice, no tour. Is it possible to do Avila and Segovia in one day?

#90867 - 04/23/12 01:00 PM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: texas1947]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Personally, I would do them separately, but it depends on what interests you. (Plus, I'm not sure how close they are distance-wise and what transportation goes between them.) In Segovia, there is the aqueduct, the cathedral and the Alcazar. Avila has the walls and the cathedral. I wanted time to explore them all, plus enjoy time sitting and enjoying a cafe or nice meal. Segovia is known for roast suckling pig. If you wanted to skip cathedrals and castles, maybe you could do both. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

#90868 - 04/23/12 04:21 PM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: teachertraveler8]
Crisco Offline

IMO-these 2 are too much for one day! There is so much more to Segovia than what teachertravels8 suggests!
First of all do NOT take the train-it leaves you way out of the Center,Take the bus-cheaper than train- at Principe Pio-lower level and buy a round trip ticket.Then it's about 3 minute walk to the aqueduct and ther eyou will see the tourist office-huge and always busy,pick up maps etc and start walking upto the Alcazar.On your way back follow a different route back to the bus station -I like to walk along the outside of the walls.
At the bus station check when the next bus is to La Granja-about a 10 minute ride.There is a lovely palace but I love the gardens with fountains.I usually have lunch down by the market.
On the way back you may be lucky and catch a bus back to Segovia that is actually going back to Madrid so just pay the difference.
I suggest you get an early start and try to beat the tourist that usaully arrive around 11 AM
It will be hot in June so come prepared with lots of water!
Avila is further and in my opinion not really that interesting-the walls have all be reconstructed and the big deal is to buy the candy yemas and visit the convent of St Theresa where you can see her finger!!!!

#90875 - 04/25/12 10:14 AM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes I agree with Crisco, Segovia is better and combine with La Granja super. The bus see more and closer to city center.
cheers

#90879 - 04/26/12 01:15 AM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: pedmar]
MTTrueBlue Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I stayed in Segovia for 6 weeks a few years ago and didn't get a chance to see and do everything I had wished to. It is a full day trip by itself to enjoy all the sites. Take time to enjoy the pedestrian streets. Around every corner is a hidden historic site with a story.

#90884 - 04/26/12 11:55 AM Re: avila/segovia guided tour from madrid [Re: MTTrueBlue]
texas1947 Offline

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely spend a whole day in Segovia by bus.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1806 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments