Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90516 - 02/13/12 06:50 PM Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
What neighborhoods would you recommend near the city center? Is Chamberi close enough to walk to the sites? (Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, los museos, Palacio Real)

Another place on the Calle de San Bernardo behind the Plaza de Espana. In Rick Steves' book, he recommends avoiding the area north of the Gran Via. This location is north of the Gran Via. Does anyone have any thoughts about it as far as a good location for renting an apartment for a week?

Edited by MadridMan (02/15/12 06:21 AM)
Edit Reason: to combine consecutive postings and to include city location in subject line.

#90527 - 02/14/12 03:29 PM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: teachertraveler8]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I love Chamberí ,the most prestigious neighborhood of Madrid but you need take the metro for to go to Gran Vía or half an hour walking
What´s the street?

#90539 - 02/15/12 06:44 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
teachertraveler8, do a Google Maps walking path from point A to point B to see the route and how long it'll take. Chamberi is very nice. Some real money there and the buildings tend to be just beautiful, elegant. I'd love to live there, but alas, the housing prices haven't come down THAT MUCH yet, particularly in Madrid's best areas.

Chamberi is a nice, safe place in Madrid, very residential, and a good deal of nightlife around the circular Plaza de Olavide with lots of (full) terraza bars. It's a good, long walk to Gran Vía and Puerta del Sol, but it's all a gentle down-slope. The reverse trip on-foot would be a bit up-grade, of course.

I think the Rick Steves recommendation is mainly focusing on a particular area north of the Gran Via - although he may not have been specific enough. I think I know to which area he refers and that would be the area north of Gran Vía, east of Calle San Bernardo and west of Telefónica building from the Calle del Barco, and maybe south of the Calle del Pez. It's not an UNsafe area, mind you, but it's also not one of Madrid's cleanest or most savory areas, either. This quadrant has a higher concentration of homeless persons and prostitutes than other parts but neither group tends to be bothersome. They're just there, MOSTLY (mind you), in the blocks surrounding the "Plaza de Soledad Torres Acosta" (a.k.a. "Plaza de la Luna"). The city has been trying to improve the image of this area, a greater police presence, etcetera, and has improved a lot since then.

Bordering this quadrant to the north is the nightlife-lively area of Malasaña, home to some of Madrid's best bars and clubs, mostly untouched by tourists is this very Spanish part of the city.

Bes sure to read my blog posting, "Calle de San Bernardo in Madrid: Cool Street", if you haven't already.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90540 - 02/15/12 06:50 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

What about Atocha street? The apartment I am now most serious about is within walking distance of the train station on Atocha. The apartment is right on Atocha, so I'm wondering if it will be noisy. If the bedrooms are in the back, I suppose not.

I appreciate your input on the other locations. I will revisit them again, now that I know a little more about them.

Thanks for moving my thread!

#90543 - 02/15/12 07:39 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Atocha street is pretty lively, central, and, as they say in Spanish-translated-into-English, "Very well communicated". wink

If I were you, check out the exact address of the building on Google Maps Street View. I know that in the lower portion of Calle de Atocha there still remain a couple of Sex Shops. That's not to say that the area surrounding these Sex Shops is seedy, no, because nothing could be further from the truth. Sex Shops in Spain tend to be in normal commercial areas with a Starbucks on one side and a VIPs restaurant on the other.

And if you're towards the bottom of the Calle de Atocha you'll be very near one of my favorite places/bars in Madrid - EL BRILLANTE!!!! YUM!!!!! Great place for a bocadillo de calamares (and other great tapas/raciones) on their back terraza facing the plaza adjacent to the Reina Sofia Museum.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90545 - 02/15/12 07:48 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
teachertravel;;; all those are nice areas too. what is a good neighborhood to you?
Calle Atocha and Calle San Pedro. It is north of Atocha. you wont have time to hear the train....you will be out

Opera Metro Stop. yes in my opinion is a better location.more central

Chamberi or north of the Gran Via near the Plaza de Espana? nice area too, love the Plaza area, my best if would be there as in past years is the plaza de castilla area towards barrio del pilar, residential , spanish, nice, metro takes you anywhere,and close to my team ::)
cheers

#90551 - 02/15/12 08:51 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: pedmar]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

I am looking for a neighborhood where we can walk to most places, so centrally located, but not in the middle of the tourist area. (Are those two things impossible together?) It would be nice to have markets nearby to buy food since one of the reasons to rent an apartment is to cook. We would also like it be in a neighborhood with bars and restaurants. We don't want a luxury apartment and the price it entails, but we don't necessarily want the cheapest option either. (which tend to be very small and located in less desirable areas)

The place on Atocha is at the corner of Calle de San Pedro. It is northwest of the train station. It looks like Calle Atocha runs south of the train station. Is that where the sex shops are?

I think I was at the Bar Brillante on one visit. The apartment is north of the Reina Sofia Museum, but within easy walking distance.

Thanks mucho!

#90552 - 02/15/12 09:51 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

The nearest Sex Shop, in case you were so inclined ( wink ), is about 1.5 blocks west of your (Calle de San Pedro) intersection on Calle de Atocha, in the direction - and UPhill - of the Plaza Mayor.

The Opera/Plaza Isabel II is a great area, probably more expensive than where you're considering, though.

Saludos, MadridMan

#90554 - 02/15/12 11:15 AM Re: Madrid: Recommend neighborhoods please [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well nowdays centrally located means tourist area,Madrid is no exception. However, walking is great, and the metro is a good service to fall on. I love the area around Santiago Bernabeu up to plaza Castilla and Barrio del Pilar where is the big shopping center, La Vaguada. You can shop at Sanchez Romero at Po Castellana 196.
just my old Madrid opinion ::)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1807 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments