Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#85659 - 11/07/09 11:09 AM Seek advice - Towns with Artisans
Quevedo Offline

Loc: New York City
Any recommendations? I am traveling to Spain in another week and want to visit towns with artisans, ceramics studios, jewelry makers, etc. I already plan to go to Talavera de la Reina, Puente del Arzobispo, Toledo and a couple of small towns near Alicante where they make very traditional spanish pottery and jewelry. I also want to find some non-traditional and unusual ceramics and jewelry as well. Are there any suggestions for places to visit? Thanks!!

Edited by Quevedo (11/07/09 05:38 PM)

#85662 - 11/07/09 07:21 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: Quevedo]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I'm also interested in creative handcrafted jewelry, but I've never found much of interest anywhere in Spain.

Edited by Donna Cuervo (11/07/09 07:21 PM)

#85666 - 11/08/09 06:00 AM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: Donna Cuervo]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
There was a lot of cool pottery and ceramics in Cuenca , but thought they were quite expensive . We had a trip to the devils window and found a shop at the carpark there with all the same potery etc for a 1/4 of the price

#85667 - 11/08/09 07:41 AM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: eskimo joe]
Quevedo Offline

Thanks! I haven't been to Cuenca in a few years. This might give me motivation to return. I wonder where those shops get their articles to sell? Maybe there are a few artists in the area to learn about. Since I am trying to research a new business, I would like to learn about and know the sources.

#85672 - 11/08/09 01:25 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: Quevedo]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
when I was there one of the shops had a flyer for one makers workshops , you could go directly to the workshop and see the guy making it . I dont have the details im afraid

#85677 - 11/08/09 08:05 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: Donna Cuervo]
Quevedo Offline

Donna - I will have my eyes out and let you know if I see any jewelry that makes an impression.

#85809 - 11/25/09 12:07 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: Quevedo]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Quevedo,

My wife purchased a very nice purse from a leather craftsman in Vejer. Foolishly, I did not do the same with a handsome briefcase-like unit. I still regret that. I don't know if I could find this shop again, but Vejer is a small town and it would be worth the hunt.

Enjoy the shopping.

#85813 - 11/25/09 07:07 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: admiral44]
Donna Cuervo Offline

Loc: New York, NY
My favorite jewelry designer in Spain is Joaquin Berao. He's quite established now with shops on Serrano in Madrid and the equivalent street in Barcelona.

Although his prices are quite high now, when I first discovered him about 15 years ago, his sterling silver items were quite affordable, and I have a nice collection. The gold always was very expensive.

I was in the shop on my visit to Madrid a few weeks ago. The salesman took out a tray of silver bracelets for me to look at. Then he got involved on a phone call, so I had time to try it all on. Of course that led to buying another piece for my collection.

His silver work is very Scandinavian looking to me. I consider it equal in quality to Tiffany and Georg Jensen. I'm surprised he's not better known outside of Spain.

#85822 - 11/26/09 04:53 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: Donna Cuervo]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Cuenca and Chinchon are good choices too. In addition to other already mentioned.

#86082 - 12/19/09 04:59 PM Re: Seek advice - Towns with Artisans [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Years ago I found some really nice local pottery between Nerja and Montefrio ... wandering back roads, etc. so I apologize for not being able to pin-point location more than that. Went thru the artists' work-shops/studios so know it was locally made. Can anyone help here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2424 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments