Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23893 - 05/01/05 07:09 PM Tracing Don Quixote's tracks
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Despite the failed efforts to reach our destination a few days ago (see Great Madrid Traffic Jam thread), we finally got a chance to see some of those classic La Mancha towns in honor of it being the 400th anniversary of the publication of the first part of the Don Quijote. Here are three we saw and a few comments:

Belmonte (Cuenca)- Famous for its castle. The castle itself is an impressive structure, the upkeep inside has been dreadful, though, so its pretty rundown and empty. Still, nice views. The main church "La Colegiata" is pretty too (charge at the door!). Town is fine and good for a walk.

Mota del Cuervo (Cuenca) - Just 15 kilometers away. Famous for its windmills, apparently the same ones that inspired Cervantes to come up with the famous episode about the giants. These are the ones you see in all the La Mancha tourism ads. Interesting enough (basically just to say you've seen them) and good for a photo or two, though little more.

El Toboso (Toledo) - Another fifteen kilometers away (actually closer to Madrid). Famed hometown of Don Quixote's imaginary love Dulcinea. You can even visit La Casa de Dulcinea (which is pretty funny because she was just a literary character...but why not!) Actually, the house was under repairs (poor-timing for the anniversary) so it was closed, BUT the town is very pretty and well worth the visit.

And that was what we saw...all amuid stretches and stretches of open Manchego countryside (miles and miles of vineyards!)

Would like to get back and see some more!

Something different to do when you're in Spain

#23894 - 05/01/05 08:17 PM Re: Tracing Don Quixote's tracks
Bob New York Offline

Loc: Maryland
Thank you for your input on this topic. I plan to leave for Spain on June 28. I will be going to Barcelona first.. They are having a special presentation on Don Quijote.

I will be going to madrid on The 2nd of May til the 7th. I was planning to begin the adventure by visitin the birth place of Cervantes. Then I plan to rent a car and go to the following places. Esquivias, El Toboso, ConsuegraArgamasilla de Alba, Lagunas de Ruidera, Puerto Lapice . D you think I will be able to do this in 3 days?
is there a Book that might help me plan this trip better. Please let me know Thank you

#23895 - 05/02/05 04:35 AM Re: Tracing Don Quixote's tracks
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Based on both of your posts on this subject, I'm not entirely sure when you will be going to La Mancha, but you can rest assured that three days is ample time to visit those places. The roads are open and the distances aren't that great, unless you are including Cervantes' birthplace, Alcalá de Henares, which is kind of a separate trip all together.

Anyway, there are tons of books out there this year. I haven't bought any because I've got enough with my general guides at home. Just go to a large bookstore (Casa del Libro, Fnac) and see what's available. You can also check out these sites:

www.turismo.jccm.es (Castilla-La Mancha government tourism page with routes, but in Spanish)

www.donquijotedelamancha2005.com (basically the same information but in Spanish and English)

Good luck and have a good time

#23896 - 05/02/05 08:17 AM Re: Tracing Don Quixote's tracks
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
When you land at Madrid's aeropuerto de Barajas you will actually be quite close to Alcala de Henares, birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes y Saavedra (40km??). If you prefer to go into Madrid (other direction) you can take commuter line trains (or buses from Avda. de America bus station) between Alcala and Madrid. The commuter train that was attacked by Terrorists (11/03) was coming in from Alcala.

You'll see more Storks than you have seen in your entire life in Alcala.
BTW
Alcala is in the Comunidad de Madrid, not Castilla la Mancha. But, in May, you should have little difficulty touring Castilla la Mancha.

#23897 - 05/03/05 04:28 AM Re: Tracing Don Quixote's tracks
F-16_doc Offline

Loc: Columbus,OH
Alcala is a wonderful city, I lived there for almost 5 years. I was in the Air Force and stationed at Torrejon Air Base.
As Eddie said, lots of storks which is cool, never saw any until I lived there. Cervantes birth home is pretty easy to find, its on the Calle Mayor. You can park in the Plaza de Cervantes and walk down to it... Here is the city website: http://www.ayto-alcaladehenares.es/homeenglish.asp?site_language=4

It has some cool panoramic pictures of all the historic sites in Alcala including St. Ildefonso College which has a very nice church. I am hoping to go back myself next year, its been almost 8 years since I was last in Spain, I miss it, its a wonderful country. Enjoy your trip :-).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2747 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments