Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23768 - 03/24/05 09:45 PM alhambra: best time of day /schedule
lakey Offline

Loc: New York
We arranged for one night in the Parador in the Alhambra this summer. So I've read up on all kinds of strategies as to the best time of day to schedule before buying the advance tickets. Any advice?
Since we're staying there on the premises, it seemed a great idea to go see the Palace at 22:00. I even checked, It will not be a full moon night. Darn.
However my viejo wants to go just before sunset roughly 6:30 or 7 in the evening. What would people recommend? Sunset or evening at 22:00?
Ditto morning time. Now I'm thinking about the earliest hour
8:30 am but the esposo wants 10 pm (since breakfast is at 8:30) Guide books have suggested all kinds of times. What is a good morning time?
Can you get something to eat,at least some coffee? I know the rules are strick about leaving the Palace area,
but they seem more easy about other parts of the Alhambra
as long as you don't leave "the pecinct"
Anybody know? Do you just plow ahead for three hours o so?
Or can the amazed but thirsty traveler get something to drink or nibble on while still on Alhambra grounds? Again we will appreciate any recommendations.

#23769 - 03/25/05 10:15 AM Re: alhambra: best time of day /schedule
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I've done the Alhambra in the morning and I say the earlier the better. They only allow a certain number of people in the palace at a certain time, so if they hit that number you spend a lot of time standing around outside. And if it's raining, as it was when I was there...well it's not fun. It gets busier as the day goes on. By the time we left, there was a traffic jam of buses all the way down the hill that leads up to the alhambra. And it also seemed to get a bit crazier as the day wore on -- more people = more chaos. But, since you are staying at the Parador (where all you have to do is walk out of the hotel), I think you'd be fine to do the 10 am tour. Our tour was split in two -- I can't remember what the dividing line was, but we definitely took a break and went into a little gift shop that had some food and drink. By food and drink I mean cheetos or crackers and a coffee machine. So, not a filling meal by any means. That said, I've heard the Alhambra at night is fabulous -- not dusk but night. There is a restaurant, the of which I've forgotten of course, that sits on a hill across from the Alhambra and you can eat dinner with a fabulous view. Definitely worth it. If I can find the name, I'll post it.

#23770 - 03/26/05 02:05 PM Re: alhambra: best time of day /schedule
lakey Offline

Thanks for the tips on morning hours and food supply.
We're going in August and I figure the 22:00 night time tour of the Palace (only the Palace) will be (a) romantic, an unusual view and (b) cooler.
Fortunately I spent my formative years in Southwest USA, so I am bracing for August "solar experience"

I understand there is a lovely sunset view on the hill opposite the Alhambra in the Albaicin district

#23771 - 04/01/05 09:48 PM Re: alhambra: best time of day /schedule
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Visiting the Alhambra at night is truly magical..you'll love it. One benefit of staying in the parador is that you can wander the grounds--though not enter the buildings--of the Alhambra after many of the tourists have left--around 8pm or so. In August it will still be quite light then--and even before it gets dark the simple absence of crowds imparts a very different experience if you simply wander around. You also won't regret staying in the parador--an experience my husband and parents are still talking about years later. Enjoy!

#23772 - 04/02/05 12:14 PM Re: alhambra: best time of day /schedule
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Lakey ... something you might want to keep in mind. Sunset is much much later in the summer here in Spain. In certain parts of the country it is still light out at 9-9:30 at night. So, if you are planning to be there just before sunset, I would plan on maybe an hour or so later than you originally thought. wink

#23773 - 04/02/05 06:03 PM Re: alhambra: best time of day /schedule
lakey Offline

This forum is great. Thanks so much for the responses. I just noticed daylight savings already started in Europe, last week in March. Ok, August sunset is slightly later in Granada than I expected,9:30 thereabouts. What I have concluded is that I need to concentrate on first and foremost, getting into the Alhambra. I was trying to jigger meals times and entrance.
I faxed the Parador. According to Parador response, August breakfast starts at 8am ( 8-11) and the evening meal starts at 20:30 (20:30-23:00). When I asked how early we should leave the Parador to pick up reserved tickets and go to the Palace, they said allow for 2 hours. Whew!
Hope we don't have to allow 2 hrs. to go to the 22:00 Palacio entrance. I think that the Parador folks are erring on the side of caution, severely. Anyone know?. This will be in August and figuring out the correct morning time still seems tricky.
I'm not fussy, I'd just like some coffee and a roll before trekking about. Maybe room service? My esposo is now pushing for 11 am after the two hours suggestion by the Parador.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2052 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments