Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23254 - 09/13/04 11:40 AM Day trips from madrid
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
I'm gonna be in Madrid from Sept. 22nd-28th. With a wedding on the 24th, and recovery time planned for the 25th I'd like to check out Toledo and Segovia. Are they worth taking a day to explore ?

#23255 - 09/13/04 12:06 PM Re: Day trips from madrid
SLK Offline

Loc: UK
Toledo is very nice. You'd probably need a couple of days to see most of sites. The cathedral is definitely work a visit.

#23256 - 09/15/04 06:04 AM Re: Day trips from madrid
davidx Offline

Both are well worth seeing but you would feel better if you could spend the night in either. This particularly applies to Toledo where you might well feel really disappointed at missing a night's stay.

#23257 - 09/15/04 06:14 AM Re: Day trips from madrid
SimonC Offline

Loc: Madrid - Spain
you have to visit the places yer... especially now, because the weather has really calmed down this month!!!

Sim

#23258 - 09/16/04 06:26 PM Re: Day trips from madrid
Alun John Offline

Loc: Wales
You wouldn't do either of them justice by cramming them into 1 day. I think that one of the main attraction's of Toledo, the Alcázar, is closed for restoration. If you go to Segovia, make sure you go for lunch in El Duque or José María - where the food is typical of the region. From Segovia, you can get a bus out to the Royal Palace at La Granja de San Ildefonso. Don't miss the glass factory whilst there.

#23259 - 09/17/04 07:28 AM Re: Day trips from madrid
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
While I agree that you should give as much time as possible to both Segovia and Toledo (and I've heard that Toledo is quite different in the evening after the tourists have left), I've done day trips to both and been quite happy with the results!

For me the major attractions in Toledo are the old synagogues, the cathedral, and San Juan de los Reyes (a monastery commissioned by Isabel and Ferdinand).

In Segovia the cathedral and the acqueduct are great.

If you can only be in Spain for a few days and want to see something beyond Madrid (which, don't get me wrong, is great, too!) these two cities are accessible and will give you a different taste of Spain.

#23260 - 09/17/04 11:04 AM Re: Day trips from madrid
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Both are worth visiting, either on a day-trip or on a longer stay.
My personal advice would be to skip Toledo the first time. You're almost bound to come back to Madrid another time and then you have Toledo to look forward to. Instead take a trip out to Cuenca - it's further afield but well worth the longer journey. Failing that visit Salamanca.
Hmmm...may have ruffled a few feathers with this opinion!!!!

#23261 - 09/17/04 03:47 PM Re: Day trips from madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Do Toledo and Segovia in one day? No, you would not be doing either city any justice, they each deserve at least one day, or a day and a half.

Toledo has so much to see and experience that a half day trip would mean a 2 hour stay, and you cannot do justice to the cathedral in 2 hours. In my opinion.

Segovia, can be done on a half day tour, but, I recommend a full day,particularly if you want to take a leisurely walk from the Roman aqueduct past some of the most interesting medieval churches in Spain, then climb to the Castillo, with its marvelous view of the valley below.

I would recommend, if you only have one day, to go to Segovia in the morning, lunch there, then onwards to El Escorial, and see a truly beautiful museum. Or, go to the walled city of Avila, where St. Theresa de Avila was born and established her ministry.

Salamanca is so charming and centraly located that you can do it in a day, but, only if you take the bus, because the Renfe train schedule is limiting. They have the second most beautiful Plaza mayor, second to Madrid, and lively street scene as well. The calle de los Libreros is atractive to all booklovers. The medieval and renaisance cathedrals are outstanding. Then you have the University of Salamanca, one of the earliest in Europe. The historical center is easy to navigate and most of the monuments are all easily within walking distance, particularly if you are young.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

#23262 - 09/28/04 10:25 AM Re: Day trips from madrid
Spanadian Offline

Loc: Spain
Toledo is a must see so is Segovia. Cuenca (beautiful vistas) is great, & Arenjuez (Nicely laid out city full of trees & a large palace) & Chinchon (Beautiful square) are worth a stop as well. All fairly near Madrid and make good day trips.

"make sure you go for lunch in El Duque or José María - where the food is typical of the region."

Absolutely! I've been to the José María restaurant in Segovia and I have to say it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Top notch in my books. It has a bar and some tables in the front and a more formal (but not imposing) dining room in the back. If you're visiting Segovia it's a fantastic place to eat.

Haven't been to El Duque yet though but it's on the list!

Spanadian

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1612 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments