Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23144 - 07/31/04 08:28 AM Things to do in Granada
Starprotected Offline

Loc: Sarasota Florida
We will be in Granada for 2 days in October. We will be seeing the Alhambra on the second day. However I have not seen or heard much about the rest of the city. We were wondering if there are other things to see and do for the first day that we are there? Or should we go outside of the city and explore. I hear they have a touristic bus, but cannot seem to find anything online with its information. Thanks for the help...

#23145 - 07/31/04 11:48 AM Re: Things to do in Granada
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
Get a copy of Rick Steves trave book on Spain. It lists many different things to see in Granada. We found the cathedral and the tombs of Ferdinand and Isabella interesting. Just sitting at one of the out door cafes along Plaza Neuva can be fascinating. Have fun. Granada is a wonderful city to visit

#23146 - 07/31/04 12:07 PM Re: Things to do in Granada
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Granada is a wonderful place to sample tapas. Best of all they are free as long as you are holding a drink in your hand. I would recommend the bars and restaurants, tea houses and arabic shops along Calle Elvira. C/ Elvira begins at the Plaza Nueva. You can find lots of info about this area on this website.......

http://www.granadainfo.com/elvirag/index.htm

Have a wonderful time. Fred

#23147 - 08/02/04 08:03 PM Re: Things to do in Granada
Starprotected Offline

Thanks guys...I was hoping that we could just hang around the hotel area and enjoy. Since we will be staying in Plaza Nueva, it looks like its going to possible.
Anyone hear anything about the tour bus?

#23148 - 08/02/04 10:18 PM Re: Things to do in Granada
Raulito Offline

Loc: Boston, MA EEUU
I've never done the tourist bus thing in Granada but I asked the company for price info for when friends visited me when I lived there. I know you can catch the bus (10 or 20 euros I think - sorry I can't remember!) on Gran Via right in front of the cathedral (less than 2-3 minute walk from Plaza Nueva). Look for the people wearing red shirts. Oh, I think there is a sign as well. And look out for the gitanos handing out sprigs of rosemary in front of the cathedral - the rosemary is free but the palm reading and other games they play are not. The tourist buses seemed to cover lots of places in the city.
If you're looking for things to do you can always go to the Capilla Real and the catedral, walk around the Albaicin and the city center, and/or sit around in bars all day - there are a lot, or visit the cartuja monestary. There is a tourist info center in Plaza Nueva. I suggest you stop by when you get there. Have fun.

#23149 - 08/15/04 06:21 PM Re: Things to do in Granada
Chicago Jake Offline

Loc: Chicago, USA
There is also the Arab Quarter (or whatever they call it) just north up the hill from Plaza Nueva; lots of good sightseeing to be done there. There is also a bull ring, and at least one Flamenco club that I wandered into.....Jake

#23150 - 08/16/04 01:37 PM Re: Things to do in Granada
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
The Alhambra was very beautiful and very memorable, but I found the Capilla Real, the mausoleum of Fernando and Isabel, the most interesting. It’s on Calle Oficios adjoining the Cathedral. Just look for gypsies handling out sprigs of rosemary, they are usually in front of the door to the Capilla Real.

#23151 - 08/17/04 05:59 AM Re: Things to do in Granada
Starprotected Offline

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful ideas. I can hardly wait.

#23152 - 08/17/04 07:10 AM Re: Things to do in Granada
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hey! If you find yourselves a little bit tired or stressed out and would like to get pampered while continuing an "Arab-themed" journey, here's an idea.

http://www.grupoalandalus.com/granadahammam1.html

I haven't been to the ones in Granada, but I have to the ones in Madrid and truly recommend the experience. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2099 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments