Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22969 - 05/25/04 10:57 AM If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
kimekazee Offline

Hello all,

I am in dire need of advice. I have 8 days in Spain and am looking to spend 3 days in Madrid, 2 days in Barcelona, and with the extra 3 days can't decide if I should go to Sevilla or Granada...??? I know both cities are wonderful but if you could offer me insight based on personal experience and make a recommendation, that would be great! Also, in my 3 days in Madrid, is it worth it to make a day trip to Toledo or somewhere else? If not Toledo, where?

Thanks so much!!!

#22970 - 05/25/04 11:51 AM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
I would recommend Toledo which is very interesting. I haven't been to Granada but I was in Seville last year. Seville didn't really impress me too much. The weather was bad and the people, apart from our friendly hostal owner, seemed a bit glum. Also the prices seemed to me to be on the high side. I'm sure it's a pleasant enough place to be when the sun shines but nothing spectacular.

#22971 - 05/25/04 11:58 AM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
Torero Offline

Loc: Iowa
If it's a choice between Sevilla and Granada, I would defintiely say Granada. The Alhambra is something that everyone should see before they die. It is truly spectacular. The cathedral in Sevilla is impressive, but not as beautiful as others in Spain, namely the cathedral in Toledo. And speaking of Toledo, I do think it would be worth it to make the daytrip there from Madrid. It is a very beautiful city and you can feel the history of it as you walk through the streets (which all seem to go uphill!! laugh )
Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong, because you will be in Spain!! Have a great trip!!

#22972 - 05/25/04 12:41 PM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
warnerchilcott Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL, USA
We were in Spain for two weeks in early April. I would definently recommend a day trip from Madrid to Segovia (by train, the scenery is beautiful). As far as Granada over Seville, I have not been to Seville but fell in love with Granada. Try to get a room(s) on the Plaza Neuva and be sure to get your tickets to the Alhambra early ( over the internet). We stayed at The Casa Del Capitel Nazari and loved it. ( www.hotelcasacapitel.com ) Hope you have a wonderful trip. By the way we drove a rental car from Madrid to Granada, had no problem and enjoyed breath taking scenery on the way.

#22973 - 05/25/04 01:07 PM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Kimekazi,

Wow, what an ambitious itinerary. You must be young, and with good feet.

In my opinion, I would skip going South with only 8 days. I would leisurely visit Madrid, Toledo, Segovia and Barcelona. But that's me. laugh I'm an old lady! :p

Well, three days for Madrid, may be enough to briefly see the monuments and take in a quick side trip to Toledo. If you had four days in Madrid, I would recommend a side trip to Segovia. A fantastic place.

If you are going by train or bus, leave from Toledo. You can go to Cordoba, have lunch there take a quick look at the Mesquita, and then take the train to Granada. Granada is a must see. Be sure to obtain your tickets to enter the Alhambra while in Madrid, otherwise you may not get in.

Hope you have a great time!

#22974 - 05/25/04 02:13 PM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Keep in mind, I may be a little biased since I studied for a semester in Granada...but go to GRANADA!!! It is my favorite city in Spain (and I visted lots and even also studied in Bilbao). I absolutely love it. I visted Sevilla a couple times while living in Granada and just didnt get the same feel there. Its a bigger city, and it feels like a bigger city (if that makes any sense). Its still a wonderful place, but my vote is for Granada.
Kelly smile

#22975 - 05/26/04 04:55 PM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
Just to make your decision a bit more difficult, I would like to suggest a third option regarding your query about Sevilla vs Granada. I would suggest spending time in a third city in that area and that would be CORDOBA. During my trip to Andalusia a few years ago, I spent roughly 3 days in each of these cities and Cordoba was definitely my favorite. Several have already expounded on the fact that it's really difficult to put your arms around Sevilla because it's just too big compared to Granada. To extend that comparison, I felt the same way about Granada when compared to Cordoba. With apologies to the Granada lovers, after seeing the Alhambra, I just got plain bored in Granada. Cordoba, on the other hand, was less touristy, smaller and had much more character. Granted, the Alhambra in Granada is much more fascinating than the Mezquita in Cordoba, but other than that, I would pick Cordoba over Granada any day. It's hard to put into words, but Corodoba to me just had more character was much more manageable. Alas, in Cordoba I was much more inclined to do more walking than in Granada. The fact that Granada is one of the most visited cities in that area probably made it feel too touristy, in my humble opinion.

#22976 - 05/26/04 09:02 PM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I have to agree with Booklady...too much travel is exhausing. Barcelona and Madrid are packed with things to do PLUS Madrid has Segovia, El Escorial, Ávila, and my beloved Toledo nearby!! You can easily spend 3 days in Toledo!! There are numerous other cities like Cuenca and Chinchón, and Salamanca. The list goes on...but those are the major places.

Between Sevilla and Granada, I would do Granada in the summer. Both are hot, but Sevilla is INCREDIBLY hot...it was about 110ºF when we were there. The Alhambra is spectacular and if you have a extra day you might want to venture by bus for a day trip to the coast or the mountains. Both are close.

#22977 - 05/31/04 03:39 AM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
kimekazee Offline

Thanks everyone! i decided I will fly into Malaga via easyjet and then head straight to Granada. Then Granada to Madrid (with a possible side trip to Toledo depending on time and if i am up to it) then Madrid to Barcelona. I will let you all know how it goes when I get back! Thanks again for all the great tips.

#22978 - 05/31/04 07:34 PM Re: If you HAD to pick.....which would you pick?
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Enjoy...I will be in Toledo in 2 1/2 weeks!!! I hope you find time to visit Toledo!!!!! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments