Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23045 - 06/07/04 07:41 PM I know where, but in what order?
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
After visiting some of Spain's best modern buildings for three weeks, my wife will join me for eight days in September. My plan is to meet her at the airport and immediately go to Toledo, spending the evening and following day there. From there, we intend to see Seville and Granada, with Ronda as a possible stop in between.

Does it matter whether we go to Seville or Granada first? We'll take the train for both of those legs, and bus between the two. Any thoughts?
Thank you-

#23046 - 06/07/04 08:16 PM Re: I know where, but in what order?
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
I can't imagine how it would matter whether you go to Sevilla or Granada first. Unless you are concerned about a rapid return to Madrid for your departure. There is a "bullet train" called the AVE from Sevilla to Madrid. About a 2.5 hour trip. The route from Granada to Madrid is roughly the same distance or less but does not offer this bullet train and takes about 6 hours.

Do stop in Ronda. It is a beautiful place. You might be surprised to find that Ronda is more like a small city than a town. I'm glad you will stay in Toledo overnight. It is a much different town after the day-trippers from Madrid leave

#23047 - 06/08/04 08:12 AM Re: I know where, but in what order?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
First, for FredMaine: The AVE (Alta Velocidad Español) is not a 'bullet train' nor is France's TGV (Tren Gran Vitesse) or Thalys. I guess you can call it what you want but the only 'bullet train' I know of is in Japan (Tokyo-Osaka).

funes writes:
Quote:
... wife will join me for eight days in September. My plan is to meet her at the airport and immediately go to Toledo, spending the evening and following day there. From there, we intend to see Seville and Granada, with Ronda as a possible stop in between.

Does it matter whether we go to Seville or Granada first? We'll take the train for both of those legs, and bus between the two. Any thoughts?
You'll probably have to come back to Madrid to catch AVE to Sevilla (there's no AVE to Granada). You could pick up a rental car at Sevilla's Estación Santa Justa and drive to Granada or even Ronda; or, after your visit to Sevilla, go to the Plaza de Armas main bus station and do that part by bus.

#23048 - 06/08/04 10:13 AM Re: I know where, but in what order?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I think the Ave actually stops in Ronda. It seems to me that I could have taken the Ave from Ronda to Sevilla or Cordoba.

#23049 - 06/08/04 09:44 PM Re: I know where, but in what order?
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Thanks Eddie. How fast does a train have to go before it can be called "bullet". I always thought the AVE was a bullet train because my sister, who thinks she knows everything, told me so.

#23050 - 06/09/04 09:12 AM Re: I know where, but in what order?
funes Offline

Loc: chicago
I am ashamed to say it, but I have never driven a manual transmission. I assume there would be no "automatic" rentals, or I would drive to many
of my destinations.

Elias

#23051 - 06/09/04 09:53 AM Re: I know where, but in what order?
ebetancourt Offline

Loc: Tennessee
You can arrange for an automatic with your rental agency before you leave. In fact when I went a few years ago, the reservation clerk (Avis) tried to insist that I rent an automatic. "Are you absolutely sure you can drive a stick?" They just cost more. I found Spain easy to drive in, except Madrid where it is slower than the Metro and you can't park anyway. The airport is easy to get out of, and the trip to Toledo is easy. I'm hoping to go south this fall, and will simply rent a car in Madrid and go.

ernie

#23052 - 06/10/04 06:13 AM Re: I know where, but in what order?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
FredMaine writes:
Quote:
Thanks Eddie. How fast does a train have to go before it can be called "bullet". I always thought the AVE was a bullet train because my sister, who thinks she knows everything, told me so.
Sisters are like that. Does she call Amtrak's Acela a 'Bullet train' also??

It's not how fast it goes (which, for AVE is 300 km/hr) or how it looks (Renfe's Talgo 200 runs about that same speed), it's the Technology. Japan's 'Bullet Train' has been called that since its inaugral run. AVE, which entered service in 1992, is based on the French TGV Technology (as is Acela), not on the Japanese that is the Technology for design of the Tokyo-Osaka express.

I doubt that the Japanese have tried to copyright the name: 'Bullet Train,' so any high speed train with a pointy nose might qualify to be called that; but, IMHO there is only one 'Bullet Train' in service in the civilized world.

#23053 - 06/10/04 06:35 AM Re: I know where, but in what order?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
AVE doesn't stop at Ronda, but Talgo200 does. The AVE line Madrid-Seville was designed for speeds up to 250 km/h and AVE trains reach it. Talgo200 trains "only" get to 200 km/h, using the same line.

#23054 - 06/17/04 02:47 PM Re: I know where, but in what order?
whyssb Offline

Loc: Tucson, Az
I would consider taking the train to Seville or Granada and then renting a car and driving thru Ronda to other city. We were able to get an automatic that we had for a week, picked up in Seville turned in at Malaga airport for 230 euro.

As far as the automatic vs standard tranmission, automatics do cost more. For highway driving it probably wouldn't make that much difference if you can drive a standard. If you are not completely comfortable with a standard and you are going to be driving in the cities, I would recommend spending the money on automatic. We found trying to read unfamiliar signs on narrow streets with mopeds zipping all around us a little unnerving. Highway driving was no problem.

In any case a car allowed us go where we wanted, on our own time schedule, and to change our plans when the mood struck us. It also allowed us to stop for picnic lunches in out of the way places and just enjoy the view (there were beautiful fields of blooming sunflowers outside Seville on the way to Ronda).

Enjoy your trip!

Whyssb
-----------------------
Missing Madrid already

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2743 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments