Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#23020 - 06/01/04 08:59 AM Is Nerja Spanish enough?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
We have an opportunity to spend two weeks in Nerja,Easter 2005, at a villa in "El Capistrano Village". But I'm wondering--will Nerja be filled with northern Europeans and few Spanish folks? Will we hear nothing but German and English? We have always chosen to stay in places that are far less touristy, with little English spoken. I hear Nerja is the best of the Costa del Sol, but can anyone here elaborate? Will we feel like we're in Spain?

#23021 - 06/01/04 12:42 PM Re: Is Nerja Spanish enough?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I was only there for a day, and it was March, so I didnt get to entirely explore the town, and certainly am no expert on Nerja. That said, it was by far the most touristy of anywhere in Andalucia, or spain for that matter that I went during my semester in Granada. I think there are a lot of English people living there and the influence is notable. I saw many many English language newspapers, and shops that catered to that group. Heard lots of English. That said, it was a cute little town and beatufiful beaches.

#23022 - 06/01/04 02:12 PM Re: Is Nerja Spanish enough?
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Aidance:

I think it depends on the time that you go. I went to Nerja in August and while there were a lot of German tourists, I actually got to see a Spanish wedding party take pictures on the Balcón de Europa. It was lovely.

However, I go to other parts of Spain for culture. In Nerja, I was definitely just there for the natural beauty and the beach!

#23023 - 06/09/04 10:01 AM Re: Is Nerja Spanish enough?
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Nerja has a large resident population of foreigners (around 20% at the last count) so not surprisingly it's a fairly cosmopolitan mix. The largest group by far is British (please note, not just "English"!!) and El Capistrano Village where you plan to stay is very non-Spanish, although very pleasant. However, Nerja is far less "touristy" than resorts west of Málaga, and prides itself on maintaining its Spanish identity, despite attracting foreign visitors. Avoid the ex-pat bars and use it as a base to explore the Axarquía region and the city of Málaga. You'll be left in NO doubt that you're in Spain. I've lived in Nerja for nine years and still love it. Let me know (davej@ya.com) if you need any more help or information.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments