Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22986 - 05/26/04 12:35 PM Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
rharton Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
This will be our first trip to Spain...we went to Italy last year and France/England the year before that. I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions! I am still working out some of the details such as what to see/do in Valencia on June 5.

June 3: Fly out of Newark Airport (11:55 PM)

June 4: 1:25 Arrive in Copenhagen and take the 12 minute train ride into the city to explore it for 1-2 hours, then take the 5:20 flight to Madrid, spend the night at Hostal Oporto

June 5: Take a 4 hour bus ride to Valencia and then spend about 5 hours exploring the city (such as the Silk Exchange and Cathedral) then take a 3 hour bus ride to Calpe to the Esmeralda Beach Club Resort

June 6: Spend the day at the beach in Calpe and climbing (also snorkeling around) the Rock of Ifach

June 7: Spend the day at the beach (and snorkeling) at Denia

June 8: Take the train to Alicante. Tour the Castell de Santa Barbara and then take a ferry to the Isla de Tabarca for time at the beach, snorkeling, and sightseeing

June 9: Travel to Benidorm to go to Aqualandia and also the beaches

June 10:Bus trip to Guadalest and Algar waterfalls

June 11: Beach and historic sites in Calpe; check out of Esmeralda and take an overnight bus from Calpe to Madrid (leaves at 11:10 PM and arrives at 6:00 AM)

June 12: Deposit luggage at Hostal Oporto and then walk around Madrid a bit (including the Parque del Retiro) and then take a bus to El Escorial to tour the monestary; then take a bus to tour Valle de los Caidos; then return to Madrid

June 13:Tour the Museo de America for an hour before taking a bus to Toledo to tour the Hospital of Santa Cruz, Alcazar, Cathedral, Monasterio de San Juan de los Reyes, and the Church of Santo Tome

June 14:Tour the Royal Palace in Madrid before taking a bus to Segovia to see the Roman Aqudeuct, El Alcazar, and Cathdral

June 15: Spend a little time at the Army Museum and Navy Museum in Madrid before boarding a 1:50 flight to Copenhagen and then a 7:45 flight to Newark (arriving at 10:05 PM)

#22987 - 05/26/04 03:56 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
On June 13th if you're going to the Museo de las Americas, stop by Faro de Moncloa which is just in front of it. Be aware that it closes during siesta times. I went at 4pm and it was just opening for the afternoon shift. It has great views of Madrid, dont miss it. You can reach it by Metro on the Moncloa station, from there is a 3 minute walk to the Faro and Museo de las Americas.

The Royal Palace tour takes about 90 minutes, the tour does not include the Royal Pharmacy or Armoury which are both checking out, these should add another 30 minutes to your time alloted for the Palace.

In Segovia, the Alcazar is very cool, the scenery and view alone are woth going in, give it at least an hour... The Cathedral can be done in 30 minutes and the Aqueduct is just that wink so wander around it as much as you want. BUT... I do recommend the Museo de la Brujeria (Witchcraft Museum) can be seen in 30 minutes is 4 euros i think go in.. its well worth it in my opinion. There's everything related to the Occult in a Non-Spooky manner, from the funny (antique sex toys_ to the creepy (torture chamber) to the surreal (vampires and other mythic creatures) with the stories about each etc.. very interesting stop on Calle Daoiz #9 close to the Alcazar area. On the street that goes from the Cathedral to the Alcazar.

Check out my Spain Itinerary

Have fun!

#22988 - 05/26/04 04:07 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Dude,
Bag the royal palace tour. You need more chilling time in Madrid. Nothing like relaxing in a great capital city and soaking in the atmosphere. Make sure you have the cochinillo in Segovia and a started of Judiones a la Granja. Amazing stuff...

In Toledo, go to the Art Cafe where the menus are art palettes. Homemade Cava...Mmmm

Gosh I am HUNGRY!!

#22989 - 05/26/04 04:39 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
willson Offline

Loc: Almería
Unless you have a particular reason for taking the bus to El Escorial you might consider the train instead. Lovely views and not only of a highway.
Try Cercanias
Madrid->El Escorial. Suburban line C-8 (from Atocha Station [and others]). Costs a couple or three Euros. And a bit of a shuttle bus ride at the El Escorial end I believe (to go from the station to San Lorenzo de El Escorial which is the actual monastery.

SoftguideMadrid: Daytrips: San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Me, I've never actually done it by train; always gone by car - since it's only about 20 minutes away. laugh

#22990 - 05/26/04 05:05 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
rharton Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks for the replies...I really appreciate the feedback! I have already added the Faro de Moncloa into the itinerary.

As far as the train vs. the bus...I like the idea of a more scenic trip. I guess the reason I was going with the bus was bc of the bomb a few months ago. Are all the trains running? Wasn't sure if there was major damage that needed repairs... if not I guess I should switch to taking the train to El Escorial instead of the bus.

Thanks again...I am grateful for the input from those of you who have already been there/done that...

#22991 - 05/26/04 05:18 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
willson Offline

Loc: Almería
Trains are all back to normal (within a couple of days of the attack actually).
And as safe as can be.

By the way... Segovia is also only a train ride away from Madrid. From the station to the center take the number 3 bus.
(I've also never done the train for this one but have friends who commute Segovia <-> Madrid).

#22992 - 05/26/04 06:39 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
Admiral4 Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
RE: Itinerary.

Sounds like a whirlwind tour. I can understand the desire to see lots of people, places, and things in one trip. However, I recommend staying in one place a little longer. For example, a day in Segovia is fine. But I would spend several days in Madrid. For a first trip, skip the park and walk around the old town. Check out the shops where musical instruments are made, near the palace. Check out the restaurants south of the plaza Mayor on the narrow streets there. Soak up the Spanish people and culture. Have a safe and wonderful tirp.

#22993 - 05/26/04 08:49 PM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
There is only one bus to the Valley of the Fallen which used to leave at 3:15 and return at 5:30. If it is on time and you HURRY, you can enter the alcazar and view it seeing the Valley of the Fallen. If not, you need to arrive in time to see it before taking the bus. We used the bus to get to El Escorial and it was a pleasant trip. I have never done the train because it is less convenient. It is a 20 minute walk to town from the train station.

Places in Toledo close during siesta time so you might want to gwt there eary, do your touring and return to Madrid during the siesta time.

The trip sounds interesting but don't forget to leave yourself time to relax and explore. Many of my favorite things are not in the tour books!!

We did Terra Mítica amusement park in Benidorm and had a fun time. Astually, I am not much of an amusement park person, but the kids had a great time. I found the historical themes and the steet shows to be interesting and also enjoyed the water rides. Benidorm has too many people, but we arrived when the park opened and had a couple quiet hours before most others arrived.

I will just miss you in Madrid and Toledo!! We arrive the 18th!! Have a great trip.

#22994 - 05/27/04 04:05 AM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
In my opinion, too many visits in too short time, not all means of transportation will fit perfectly your schedule, but that's something you will manage "on board". Just a note: don't expect to be at the beach in Tabarca, the tiny island near Alicante, because there isn't. It is a flat rocky island, no beaches.

#22995 - 05/27/04 09:43 AM Re: Our itinerary for June 4-15 (staying in Madrid and Calpe)
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
I just noticed that you are planning to visit Parque del Retiro on june 12th (saturday)... dont.. Retiro is a "MUST" on Sundays. I went on a Sunday and sure it was nice and all but didnt found it to be all that...

p.s. good luck with the cochinillo in segovia.. I was going to have it but when i got near the restaurants that have it and saw the little pigs in the windows my animal-activist side came out mad and I just couldnt :p hehe that's me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2672 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments