Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22403 - 12/01/03 04:15 PM Where to visit - Semana Santa 2004!
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I can't believe this but after visiting Spain for Semana Santa in 2003 I couldn't resist returning in 2004! Besides, I found a great airfare from LA to London (Virgin Airlines), then London to Madrid for $580 USD! laugh

Last year, I spent 2 nights in Ubeda, 4 nights in Sevilla and my final night in Madrid.

Where should I visit this year???

I'll arrive on the evening of Sat., April 3rd into Madrid and leave early morning Sun April 11th. Final night will be in Madrid definately.

Although I've read that there are some incredible processionals in Salamanca/Avila/Segovia, I'm inclined to head back south to Sevilla and perhaps 1-2 other cities.

One of my thoughts is to stay 2-3 nights in Cadiz and visit some of the nearby sherry towns during the day. But does Cadiz have Semana Santa processionals every day starting on Palm Sunday? Is 3 nights too long for Cadiz and would it be better to do 2 nights in Cadiz and 1 night in Arcos/Cordoba/Jerez?

My other idea is to spend time in either Cordoba, Arcos or Granada. I've visited all these cities in 2001 but wouldn't mind in the least visiting them again.

Another city that I haven't visited is Malaga. But I'm not sure....I'm not too much into the beach scene and more into history.

I'm open to any suggestions. However, I'm leaning towards spending 2-3 nights in Cadiz, then Wed-Friday in Sevilla with my final night in Madrid. Also, I'll be using public transporation and will not have a car.

#22404 - 01/11/04 11:46 AM Re: Where to visit - Semana Santa 2004!
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Hi, your main travel challenge will be lodging. I strongly recommend you investigate that first. One option for doing Sevilla for Semana Santa if it transpires that you cannot find in-town lodging, is to stay in any nearby town. For example, when I went to Sevilla I stayed in Los Palacios (at the San Sebastián, nice clean rooms with private baths, about 20 Euros per night), about a half an hour south, but I had a car.

another thought, if you are not into the beach scene as you say, then you may not enjoy Malaga very much at all. But if you are down there near Motril after driving south from Granada, try stopping at Nerja. Like many of the beach towns, it is somewhat tourist-trappy (brits abound as you might expect, but they seem to keep to their areas), but it isn't too bad, and there is a lot of the old fishing village left that is a vibrant local community (there are little shops and restaruants, and there is even an old guy who sells fish from a cart), where you can find a nice economical room in a private home within walking distance of the restaurants and of the "Balcon de Europa", a landscaped cliff that spills down to the sea, populated by swallows, and by a family of calico cats. The beach is great here, especially on a clear night.

#22405 - 01/12/04 03:51 PM Re: Where to visit - Semana Santa 2004!
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thanks for the advice about booking a room in advance. An update on my trip.

I'm spending the first three nights in Cadiz after I read so many positive posts about this city. I have a room at the modern parador on the beach. I figure I'll do daytrips to the nearby sherry cities. Then I head to Sevilla for three nights. I booked a room in the Santa Cruz quarter and will post a review when I return. It's a family owned restaurant that also has 8 rooms upstairs. I "discovered" it when I ate there a few times during my first trip to Sevilla in 2001. Then I head back to Madrid for my final night and will stay at the Hotel Plaza Mayor. The location looks excellent and I've also read some very favorable things about it on this board.

So, now I'm focusing on what to do in and around Cadiz. I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks to all.

#22406 - 01/12/04 09:03 PM Re: Where to visit - Semana Santa 2004!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
We stayed in CAdiz with friends last year for Semana Santa and there will be the processionals. I saw the awesome ones in Sevilla, but I also very much enjoyed the local processional just outside of Cadiz in a little village. Any Andalusian town will have the processionals. Cadiz is wonderful and will be crowded for Semana Santa because it is a popular vacation spot during that time.

Have fun and book accomodations early!!!

#22407 - 01/26/04 06:36 AM Re: Where to visit - Semana Santa 2004!
susanna Offline

Loc: London
Hi Cathy
I planning to visit Sevilla for the 2004 Feria
and haven't arranged accomodation yet.
could you let me have contact details for the place you mentioned
hope you have a great trip as well
cheers
Susanna

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2035 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments