Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#22185 - 08/25/03 02:47 PM Madrid:Suggestions on Things to SEE?
chansen3 Offline

Loc: United States
If someone could please give me some of thier favorite things to do in Madrid I would be very thankful also in Segovia

#22186 - 08/25/03 11:20 PM Re: Madrid:Suggestions on Things to SEE?
el viajero Offline

If you go to Segovia by bus, the previous stop is La Granja, home of a former Royal Castle and the royal glassworks and glasswork museum, which are worth a visit. In Segovia itself, just wandering the streets and seeing the 2,000-year-old aqueduct are wonderful.

In Madrid itself, I suggest the Prado Museum and especially the Reina Sofia museum of modern art. If the weather is nice, sit in an outdoor cafe opposite the lake in the Retiro park, then wander around the park and see the street performers and the park itself. If you know Spanish and enjoy theater, Madrid offers a great many affordable options.

Be sure to pick up a copy of the weekly periodical "La guía del ocio" ("The Leisure Guide"), which includes listings for restaurants, exhibits, bull fighting, performing arts, festivals, etc. The back few pages of each issue are in English, and list attractions appropriate for English speakers.

Of course, it all depends what your tastes are. A friend of mine loves going to shoe shops, and was in seventh heaven in Madrid. smile

#22187 - 08/26/03 01:16 AM Re: Madrid:Suggestions on Things to SEE?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
The Rail Museum at metro Delicias is interesting for kids (and big kids!)Their coffee shop is an old rail car.

The Naval Museum, just north of the Prado, was much more than I expected and is free if you bring your passport. The have a piece of "The Maine" along with uniforms, ships, weapons and models of most of the important Spanish ships.

Try the Telefonica museum on the Gran Via. They have a permanant museum on telephones in Spain and a temporary space which has great free exhibits.

The museum at Las Ventas is free also. More than you ever wanted to know about Los Toros Bravos.

Every time I have visited the Royal Palace, I am most impressed by their collection of Stradavarius instruments. The have an abundance of violins, violas, cellos and basses. To me it is almost as impressive as room XXII at The Prado!

#22188 - 08/26/03 04:49 PM Re: Madrid:Suggestions on Things to SEE?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
For the day the above recommendations are very good, but sooner or later the evening and better sill, the night come. And Madrid is a number 1 as long as nights are concerned. I recommend you a walking tour through its different atmospheres, from liberal, easy going Chueca, passing through the docens of tapas bars and clubs spread over Huertas, to Old Madrid with its elegant wine bars not to mention its two world known discos: Joy and Palacio.

Andres

#22189 - 08/27/03 06:25 PM Re: Madrid:Suggestions on Things to SEE?
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
If you is a fan of the nature you can visit a lot of places in Madrid:
Botanical Garden,Faunia ,Zoo,"Invernadero de la Arganzuela, "La estufa fria" in Juan Carlos I park,National Science museum.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1992 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments