Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#21413 - 11/24/02 04:46 PM Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
rios.strongbeach Offline

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Hello Everyone,

Thanks MM for this awesome site. It's a beautiful resource.

I'll be in:
Barcelona from Dec 15 - 23
Madrid from Dec 23-30
Sevilla and southern Spain from Dec 30-Jan 6th

Can everyone help me with the must sees in that time and what I won't get to see considering the holidays?

Please include what you found most captivating in the must see's.

a million thanks smile

rios in strong beach baby!

#21414 - 11/25/02 05:15 AM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quote:
I'll be in:
Barcelona from Dec 15 - 23
Madrid from Dec 23-30
Sevilla and southern Spain from Dec 30-Jan 6th

Can everyone help me with the must sees in that time and what I won't get to see considering the holidays?
Just to mention a few things: Barcelona, Sunday, 22 December - go to Parc Guell in the afternoon - sing las Mañanitas in the acoustic 'chamber;' in the evening, you can sit across from the Cathedral and watch the people dancing the Sardana;

Madrid, Christmas week - go to Plaza Mayór and see some of the elegant Portales de Belém in the escaparates (i.e., store windows). These are Nativity scenes that are updated from day to day during Christmas time to show the birth of Jesus, the arrival of the Shepherds and finally the Magi.

southern Spain, visit some of Sevilla's Churches (Catedral, la Macarena, la Magdalena). If you're driving, take a day-trip to Huelva. Stop just south of Almonte and visit el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio; continue westward to la Rabida and Palos de la Frontera and see the Columbus Monument (where he left on his first voyage of Discovery). rolleyes
BTW
You should also do daytrips from Madrid (Toledo, Segovia} and visit the Prado, the Palacio Réal, the Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia and the Thyssen. From Barcelona, you may want to daytrip to Montserrat or to one of the villages on the Costa Brava. cool

#21415 - 11/25/02 11:25 AM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
rios.strongbeach Offline

Hello Eddie,

Do you think a day trip to Granada to see the Alhambra is a must see? I've seen different views on the board. What about La Mezquita in Cordoba? Also, have you been to the town of Tavira, Portugal? It's very close to Spain and my friend said it's a must see.

Thanks,
Rios laugh

#21416 - 11/25/02 03:57 PM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
rios:
Is there a reason you're staying in each city for so long? Although I don't advocate moving around at a frantic pace, I wouldn't want to spend that long in Barcelona or Madrid. Just my opinion, but I like the smaller cities.

Near Madrid are Toledo, Segovia & Salamanca. These are beautiful, historic towns that many people do as day trips but I love to spend the night in these towns.

I'd also highly recommend Girona, about an hour north of Barcelona. It is a beautifully preserved medieval town with one of the best preserved jewish quarters in Europe.

From Sevilla, you could visit Cordoba, Carmona, Jerez (great fun sherry tasting) and some of the Pueblos Blancos. Granada could be done in a day but it would be a very long day and you wouldn't do Granada justice. If your schedule permitted, I'd go from Sevilla to Granada via the white village route, spending an evening or 2 in Arcos or Ronda.

Hope this helps.

#21417 - 11/25/02 05:37 PM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
rios.strongbeach Offline

CathyM,

A couple of reasons for being in those city's so long. One, I just wanted to beee there, really be there. Another, I was using those cities as my base and if we wanted to take day trips out of there then try that. If that doesn't sound like a good plan let me know.

Please tell me why you wouldn't want to be in Barcelona for that long. My husband and I are 29 and probably would go dancing and getting our groove on. Someone once told me they didn't spend enough time in Barcelona. I didn't want to make that mistake.

Thanks,
Tonya smile

#21418 - 11/26/02 05:18 AM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Rios writes:
Quote:
Do you think a day trip to Granada to see the Alhambra is a must see? I've seen different views on the board. What about La Mezquita in Cordoba? Also, have you been to the town of Tavira, Portugal? It's very close to Spain and my friend said it's a must see.
Granada is a pretty long haul as a day trip from Sevilla. La Mezquita in Cordoba is more along your way; and it's quite impressive even after having seen la Giralda in Sevilla.

No, I haven't been to Tavira.

#21419 - 11/26/02 03:53 PM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
rios:

It appears your planning on 8 nights Madrid and 7 nights each in Barcelona & Sevilla.

Personally, I don't prefer the bigger cities of Madrid and Barcelona, although any traveler to Spain should definately visit them. I prefer the small towns/villages where you can really get your arms around a city and know the people. Places where they recognize you after you go a couple of times, places where most people just visit for the day. Nightlife may not be as happening in these smaller cities (although sometimes it can be quite active) but I prefer history over the nightlife.

Specifically regarding Barcelona, I enjoyed Barcelona but it is a very big city with crime issues, noise, and street people (like most large cities in the world). I'd spend a max of 5 nights in Barcelona then go to Girona for a couple of nights. Girona doesn't have much nightlife but it is a beautiful city and a day trip doesn't do it justice. Tarragona is also supposed to be a nice city to stay but I don't have any first hand experience there.

I'd cut some days out of Madrid and spend extra time in Toledo, or even take time from Madrid and drive from Sevilla to Granada via the white villages. Or add some time in Cordoba. The weather in the south would be much nicer than Madrid. Granada could be the exception.

Of course, everyone has their own likes and dislikes and two people on the same vacation can come back with very different opinions. wink

You need to make your trip decision based on what you want out of your vacation laugh .

Hope this helps. Please let us know how your trip goes.

#21420 - 11/26/02 06:49 PM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
JANTRAVLER Offline

Loc: GEORGIA
Hi! I've been home from my trip for a week now, peeking at Madrid, Cordoba, Sevilla, Jerez, Ronda, Mijas, Granada, Toledo all in 10 days. eek Here's my picks--Sevilla 2nites, Cordoba missable if you see Alhambra--highlight of my life. Just remember it's pretty cold in Madrid and Toledo, wished I had left them for a trip to northern Spain in Spring. Jerez and Horses was fun, Mijas incredibly relaxing and a great view, Sevilla--was warm and cute and I wish I had spent more time there. Granada--spent most of my day at the Alhambra--Roses were still blooming! Spain is incredible I doubt if anyone has had a bad visit! wink

#21421 - 11/26/02 08:16 PM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
We spent 8 hours last summer in the Alhambra and the Generalife. We including two kids!! It was wonderful!! We had one of best meals of the trip in the parador on the grounds. It wasa relaxing break and wonderful food. smile

The horses in Jerez were great and we especially enjoyed our time on the grounds before the show. By luck, we were there when the gounds opened and got to see a lot of action before the show!!

It is important to visit the cities, but I love the smaller towns!!! laugh

#21422 - 11/27/02 12:47 AM Re: Must sees?? – Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla or Andalusia
Espe3 Offline

for a good night life and lots of day trip possibilities, your days in madrid are good.

You can take a day/sleepover if you like, to Toledo. Day trip to Segovia, day trip to Avila (check out the caves! smile ) You could even go for a night to Salamanca. Also, day trip to El Escorial (you don't want to miss that!) Even check out Chinchon for the day (famous for their Anis alcohol!)
In Madrid itself there's plenty to see...Museums: El Prado, Reina Sofia, Thyssen... El Palacio Real, La Almudena, Los Jeronimos, El Museo Romantico(this museum is an old residence-you can see what the Palacetes used to be like inside!) The Retiro, La Plaza Mayor, old Madrid, the Puerta del Sol area- Km 0... and of course there's plenty of shops and things along the way to check out.

Night life in Madrid or Barcelona will NOT be a problem! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments