Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#21063 - 08/05/02 06:18 PM Travelling around Madrid
canter Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I have about 8 days set aside to see Toledo, Avila, Salamanca and Segovia. I'll be using public transport and dragging 2 small kids and backpacks around with me. I was thinking of dumping most of the luggage at a left-luggage at Madrid train station and then taking an overnight bag and then using Madrid as a hub returning every few days to swap clothes etc. I REALLY don't fancy carrying everything with me on some grand circuit as carhire is out of the question. Any suggestions ?

#21064 - 08/05/02 08:42 PM Re: Travelling around Madrid
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi Canter

FYI Toledo, Segovia, Avila can be done in a day trip from Madrid. The trains run from Atoche. By doing these as a day trip you don't have the worry of where to leave your bags for those days.

Salamanca is another matter, however if you are planning to return to Madrid then check with the Hostal/Hotel that yo are staying at regarding whether you can leave some of your luggage there.

Hope this helps

David

#21065 - 08/05/02 09:05 PM Re: Travelling around Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Making day-trips by bus would be cheaper than train and you might even be able to stay later at each place (I'm guessing here).

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#21066 - 08/06/02 12:27 AM Re: Travelling around Madrid
canter Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Do they need more than a day trip though ?

#21067 - 08/06/02 10:41 AM Re: Travelling around Madrid
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Canter

In my opinion, I believe that these places can be done as a day trip although others may disagree. I know that on my next trip back to Spain I will be going back to Toledo for a second look and am even giving "some" consideration to staying there at least 1 night, but then the question arises as to what to take and what to leave behind in Madrid.

Others have indicated that the Bus is a better alternative than the train. I haven't personally used the Bus Service in Spain so I can't comment. Maybe some others can. I believe that there has been some postings on this matter so if you do a search here something may come up.

David wink

#21068 - 08/06/02 10:53 AM Re: Travelling around Madrid
tonytorero Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain via Kansas City,...
You can do them hurriedly in a day would be my answer to your question. I live about an hour in car from Toledo and have been there about 5 times over the last few years. There's so much to see that it's always a day long affair.

How much you do and see depends on what you hope to get out of the trip. There's just so much history. I've always liked staying away from the guided tours, buying a guide and/or researching the place before I go on my own and then just discovering things during my trip there along with my family. Do whatever you like though. That's just my experience and preference in case you haven't been there before.

#21069 - 08/06/02 01:31 PM Re: Travelling around Madrid
Eric - NYC Offline

Loc: NYC
The bus is definitely the best way to Segovia. I believe it's faster and cheaper than the train. I also think there are more of them per day.

As for Segovia itself, it's good as a day trip.

#21070 - 08/13/02 08:51 PM Re: Travelling around Madrid
plumepoppy Offline

Loc: canada
Hi! I hope this won't come too late for your trip preparations. I have done all these destinations on day trips using the coach. Segovia is a breeze. Avila is fine. You're minutes away from the downtown area. But the Toledo coach station is outside the city walls and it's quite a hike to get up there. A city bus route runs next to the coach station and it will take you up into the old city in a few minutes. Coming back down on foot is okay. Salamanca is a bit far for a day-trip unless you start very early in the day. Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1500 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments