Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20788 - 05/22/02 01:48 PM Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
'Just back from Espana...Wanted to to take a minute and plug a town or two.

If you're looking for a quiet, "untoursity" town with lots of interesting things to see, check out Priego de Córdoba !

Priego is located 50 miles southeast of Cordoba. It's nestled on hill at the base of a larger mountain. The town has two exquisite Baroque churches, an elaborate fountain with 139 spouts, and a charming Moorish quarter with whitewashed houses overflowing with Geraniums.

Priego is well off the tourist radar screen. There are 5 or 6 places to stay and a lots of bars and restaraunts. It has a lively and fun evening paseo.

Definitely consider Priego if you're driving in the region between Cordoba and Granada.

Montefrio is another "cute as a button" hilltown that is way off the tourist track. It's just northwest of Granada.

#20789 - 05/22/02 07:22 PM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Just out of curiosity, rainspooner (I'm always on the lookout for out-of-the-ordinary places to visit), how did you find such gems in Andalucía???? Did someone tell you about them or did you read about them in a guide book (I'd doubt this) or what? I'm really curious!! smile

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20790 - 05/23/02 06:00 AM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
You can find out about Montefrio here...

http://www.casasdelorenzo.com/

#20791 - 05/23/02 11:45 AM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
El Boqueron, yours wouldn't be an advertisement, would it?? wink That page advertises its houses for rent. But it is full of stories and photos of the town as well. I found it while search for others on Montefrio. I particularly like their opening WARNING:
Quote:
WARNING: our village is not the Spain of air-conditioned hotels and English-speaking waiters with outstretched palms, but a traditional mountain community where foreigners are seen as honoured guests. If you want to discover Spanish folk culture in the raw and sustainable tourism in action, spend your next vacation in Montefrio, in the western hills of Granada Province, Andalucia.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#20792 - 05/23/02 12:12 PM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Well yeah, it is kind of an ad (though nothing to do with me personally!) but the guy has a nice website about Granada - the link is to one page of it. Anyway, it has a photo of Montefrio, so I thought you might like to see it, as you were asking where to find out about these kinds of places smile

#20793 - 05/23/02 01:26 PM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
rainspooner Offline

MM, I was lucky enough to learn of Priego and Montefrio from going to the library and checking out every guide book on Spain and especially Andalucia.

The author of one of the guide books raved about Priego. It may have been a AAA guide to Anadalucia. It was a little paperback with lots of color photos. It wasn't one of the biggies (Fodor's, Frommer's, Let's Go, Rick Steves).

I've found the most info about out of the way places in Lonely Planet and the Rough Guide to Andalucia.

There's a great thread about Montefrio from a few years ago which I think I'll revive.

#20794 - 05/28/02 05:09 PM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Rainspooner,

Priego sounds interesting. Where did you stay?

#20795 - 05/30/02 11:15 AM Re: Priego de Cordoba = Untouristed Andalucian Hilltown Gem
rainspooner Offline

We stayed at 2* Hostal Raffi (Rafi sp?).

Ok, place. Nothing fancy at all. 32Euros/night for a double with bath.

There are not many coices in the main part of town. After we parked the rental car we walked around and passed a 1* hostal, then found the little tourist info office which told us about Hostal Raffi. The guy at the TI office really pushed a hotel down the hill on the outskirts. Apparently he thought it was great because it had a pool. We didn't come to this picturesque hilltown to swim...

I think you'll like Priego!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2340 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments