Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20558 - 03/30/02 11:19 AM Cordoba/Sevilla. When shall we go to sleep?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi everyone.

A question - Although we won't want to sleep at all when we are in Cordoba and Sevilla this summer, I realise that at some point we will have to! rolleyes

The temp will be incredibly high, I know, so sleeping in the afternoon makes sense. But what are we likely to miss at this time? Or will it be so hot that we won't care that we might be missing something?

I suppose we will need to get some sleep, and will be stayihg up late, so maybe the siesta in the afternoon would be the best idea?

It would be nice not to need this thing called sleep sometimes wouldn't it? laugh

Thanks.

Jo

#20559 - 04/08/02 10:45 PM Re: Cordoba/Sevilla. When shall we go to sleep?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Jo-Anne,

I think doing the siesta in the afternoon is the best bet for you. Since you will no doubtedly be up late at night, you don't want to sleep in too late in the morning and miss the cooler morning air. You won't miss too much by taking a siesta in the afternoon since it will be so hot and most of the locals will be home doing the same thing!

Have a great trip!

-GranadaGirl

#20560 - 04/09/02 07:47 AM Re: Cordoba/Sevilla. When shall we go to sleep?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Jo - I was in Cordoba in August 2 years back. It was extremely hot (oven-like) in the afternoon, and, apart from a few die-hard tourists, the centre was deserted. Best have a long lunch at about 2pm or later and then a sleep. That way you can enjoy more of the night, when you can stay outside till all hours. On that point, Cordoba doesn't have the same nightlife as Sevilla, it's an altogether more reserved kind of place. In August at least, many places are closed for the hols, and we found it very quiet at night.

#20561 - 04/11/02 07:48 AM Re: Cordoba/Sevilla. When shall we go to sleep?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Jo-Anne writes:
Quote:
The temp will be incredibly high, I know, so sleeping in the afternoon makes sense. But what are we likely to miss at this time?
You might miss getting your feet burned through the soles of your shoes (cork or Crepe soles recommended). To paraphrase Kipling: Only mad dogs and your fellow 'Brits' (and a few American tourists) go out in the midday sun. He was writing about India, but it works for (inland) southern Spain as well. Another common trait Spain shares with the Indian subcontinent: The days are very long - it doesn't get dark until about 21:30 in mid July.
Last year in Sevilla, we did our tourism in the morning, dined around 13:30, went back to our 3-star hotel (I had insisted on accomodation with air conditioning and swimming pool) - had a swim and a siesta and ventured back out around 19:00. Of course if you are going to the Toros you'll have to come out a little earlier (17:00).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1609 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments