Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#20039 - 12/05/01 07:17 PM Madrid's Retiro Park: not so nice??
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Yesterday (4 Dec.) Univision broadcast an interview with José Maria Aznar, President of Spain (who was in the U.S. meeting with President Bush). Aznar talked about Madrid's Retiro Park really having gone downhill over the recent past: street people from Ecuador & Colombia frying plantains over open fires & sleeping on the benches, etc. eek

I have been reporting on my own experiences on Sunday mornings in Retiro (all good) but my last such visit was in January, 2000. So I may have to defer to el Presidente and withdraw back my 'Sunday mornings in Retiro' recommendations.

MM: Can you check out the situation when you visit Madrid later this month?? rolleyes

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#20040 - 12/05/01 08:19 PM Re: Madrid's Retiro Park: not so nice??
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Eddie! I'll be sure to check out Retiro Park when I go later this month, but you know, it's not the same in the winter as in the warmer months. I don't doubt people were sleeping (even living!) on the benches in Retiro Park, but they're already curbing that by closing the gates at night until morning -- I think they leave one gate open, but there's a guard posted (Maybe Antonio or one of the other madrileños know this for sure). This is all because, of course, the alcohol/drug abuse/sales, muggings, and infrequent rapes which took place there.

Also, keep in mind that Aznar is a politician and he may be complaining about the downturn of Retiro's quality in order to be granted monies by city/federal government for renovations. They've already emptied/dredged the lake, the entired Alfonso XII Monument facelifted (several times over the past few years), the same with the Palacio de Cristal, and other works, but maybe more needs to be done(??).. When I was there in October 2000 Retiro Park was as glorious as ever. But I'll check into it while visiting this month.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1570 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments