Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19939 - 10/19/01 10:20 PM Back from Spain
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I just got back 5 days ago from my 17 day trip to Spain. What an incredible country! I didn't quite know what to expect when I went but it was beyond my dreams. I'll post more once I've had a chance to rest up but here are some quick observations:

1) Food
I've been all over Europe and I have to say that I've never had better than in Spain.

2) People
The Spanish people were so warm, welcoming and friendly. They didn't seem to be as tainted by tourism as in some other countries I've visited.

3) Safety
I was a little concerned about safety before the trip as I had read of issues with gypsies and muggings particularly in Madrid and Sevilla. I am happy to report that I felt VERY safe in Spain. I was approached by gypsies in Cordoba, Sevilla, and Granada but shooed them away. They were not agressive as I have seen in Italy and Greece. In Madrid I also felt safe. Just like anywhere, you need to be aware of your surroundings and dont' leave anything laying unattended. I went out in the evenings by myself and felt totally comfortable.

4) Cleanliness

I found Spain to be very clean in general. We constantly saw street sweepers and workers in Madrid at all hours of the day and night. Restrooms were sterile and always had toilet paper - this was a big surprise after my trip to Italy last year. Granada was probably less clean than the other cities we visited but still very nice.

I'm going to go through all of my notes (and napkins) over the next week. I found all kinds of great restaurants and hotels and will be sure to let everyone in on my secrets!

In the meanwhile if anyone has questions on these cities in particular it's all fresh in my mind and I'd be happy to help someone with their trip:
(In order of visiting)

Toledo
Segovia
Avila
Salamanca
Cordoba
Sevilla
Jerez
Arcos
Zahara/Grazalema - white village drive
Ronda
Granada
Madrid

#19940 - 10/20/01 06:08 AM Re: Back from Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Glad you made it back safe & sound CathyM! It sounds like you really had a ball and are already starting to plan for your next trip. rolleyes
While you were in Spain, I was in Ireland, playing golf and getting a bit of ethnic reinforcement. In late May/early June I did them both: openjaw on Continental to Shannon and home from Madrid, Ryanair Dublin-London and EasyJet London-Madrid. Total cost from Dublin-Madrid was about $130 USD.
I like both places very much!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1735 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments