Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#19857 - 09/12/01 08:24 AM Madrid in January
amonline Offline

Loc: UK
I know it'll be cold in January, but do you get much sun at that time of year, or is it dull? Also, anyone recommend good things to do at that time of year?
Thanks

#19858 - 09/17/01 01:59 PM Re: Madrid in January
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I was ther during the first week last January. It wasnt' terribly cold and I loved how the city looked. There's always plenty of shopping to do and the countryside outside Madrid looks beautiful that time of year.

#19859 - 09/17/01 05:02 PM Re: Madrid in January
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I visited Madrid during the last week of January and found the weather to be comfortable. Temps ranged from 40F-60F (I think the 60F was a little out of the ordinary). Rained briefly almost every afternoon, but then reverted to sunshine. Take a good raincoat or carry an umbrella and you'll be fine.

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: jmcarr ]

#19860 - 09/18/01 09:07 PM Re: Madrid in January
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi,
Did any of you happen to go to Santiago de Compostela? If so, was it much colder than Madrid?
Gracias

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Booklady ]

#19861 - 09/19/01 06:18 AM Re: Madrid in January
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
US Airways had an offer we couldn't resist (Phila - Madrid for about $300 R/T) so we went to Madrid for 10-days in January, 2000. It was the last 2-weeks of January - weather was cool and dry: no large crowds of tourists at the Museo del Prado or Palacio Réal - Retiro Park on Sunday was beautiful. It was just a nice, laid back time to visit Madrid.
P.S.
BookLady: I was in Santiago de Compostela for AnTroido (Carnaval) in February '99. It will be in mid-February in 2002. Weather was dry. My (wife's) cousin told me that usualy it rains every day during that time of year. But it's not too cold - the maritime climate helps. Lacon con grelos is a popular dish there then. We passed many roadside stands selling grelos ('greens') on our way to a'Corunha. rolleyes

#19862 - 09/20/01 01:14 PM Re: Madrid in January
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Well, I've been to Santiago de Compestela during December. Although I didn't think it was much colder, it did tend to rain there more often. Any of the places you visit during that time of year will be less crowded and very beautiful.

#19863 - 09/21/01 01:09 PM Re: Madrid in January
mick nick Offline

Loc: wakefield , w.yorks
We have visited Madrid in Jan/Feb for the last 3 years and have found it can be quite warm during the day but chilly at night-2 years ago we were actually sunbathing in the Plaza de Colon whilst waiting for the airport bus ! You could try a visit to either Real or Atletico . Tickets are easier to get than you might think and nothing beats the Rastro on a sunny Sunday morning

#19864 - 09/21/01 10:26 PM Re: Madrid in January
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Thank you all for the wonderful news. Being from North Florida we don't have a real winter, our blood is thin! laugh
I originally planned to go to Santiago de Compostela, but I started reading that Northern spain can get pretty cold. So I changed my plans and decided to go South instead. Even though I have been to Andalucia my son has not. But next year...it will be to Galicia and Asturias!
Gracias

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2750 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments