Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11457 - 07/10/01 07:56 PM easiest and cheapest way to Morocco?
GOOSEMAN Offline

Loc: COLORADO, USA
Anyone out there know of the cheapest and easiest way into Morocco from the southern tip of Spain? I will be travelling there around the end of August, beginning of Sept., do the prices drop around this time?

#11458 - 07/10/01 09:36 PM Re: easiest and cheapest way to Morocco?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi GOOSEMAN! I just used the SEARCH link above/right, typed in MOROCCO and got half-dozen threads on the topic. Good luck and have fun!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#11459 - 07/11/01 08:08 AM Re: easiest and cheapest way to Morocco?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Bryan, if you are going on one of the ferries - which is the cheapest way - bear in mind that there are about 750,000 cars filled with North Africans and loaded up with luggage on top as high again as the car, coming back after spending the summer there. They are heading off to France, Italy, Belgium etc and the ferry companies are working flat out to ship the masses in August. If you are going at the beginning of September it will have eased off by then. Take your sun cream too! cool

#11460 - 07/11/01 10:57 AM Re: easiest and cheapest way to Morocco?
GOOSEMAN Offline

Loc: COLORADO, USA
Thanks for the info and advice! cool

#11461 - 07/19/01 09:57 PM Re: easiest and cheapest way to Morocco?
CAN14 Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Just did that trip. Take the ferry from Algeciras. It cost us about 3000 each one way and took about 3 hours to get to Tanger. It left every hour from 6 am till 10 pm i think. It is my understanding that the costs are fixed so you may not find much variance during the year. Lots of families in both directions. There is a speed ferry if your interested. And I must add that the only time I got harassed by any men was on the ferry and it was a crew member.

#11462 - 07/20/01 06:31 AM Re: easiest and cheapest way to Morocco?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I can't stress enough how many North Africans we are talking about here. If you are travelling from Algeciras to Morocco betweeen 15th June and 15th September, this is when the official Paso del Estrecho operation takes place, where hundreds of civil protection teams, police and red cross workers all work to get a million families eek to and from their homes in France, Belgium, Holland and Italy, with most of them crossing the Straits of Gibraltar at Algeciras.

Having said that, the vast majority of vehicles travel in July and August, with waits of up to 2 days at the port not uncommon. You might get an idea from this page I found, with a very rough translation from Google! http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.el-mundo.es/1998/08/01/madrid/&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522operacion%2Bpaso%2Bdel%2Bestrecho%2522%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1610 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments