Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11127 - 05/03/01 03:50 PM Buying point to point tickets in Spain
azboarder Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Because I've decided to forgo the Spain Railpass, I was wondering how difficult it is to buy point to point train tickets. I've figured it's going to be a little bit cheaper for me to do this and also allow me the flexibility to take a bus when it is more prudent. Should they be bought a couple of days in advance, or on the day of? Let me know about your experience buying tickets in Spain.
Thanks

Aaron

#11128 - 05/03/01 07:08 PM Re: Buying point to point tickets in Spain
carleen Offline

Loc: California
I've never had problems buying point to point tickets in Spain. There are plenty of private bus lines to choose from. In big cities like Madrid, you can go to the main station and choose from about 20 different bus lines. The information desk can tell you which companies will take you to the city you want to go to. I always just bought tickets the day I was travelling, but it is a good idea to get there early to avoid the disappointment of finding out that the bus you needed has already left. In my experience, the busses were clean and they usually give you headphones and a bottle of water or a soda. My only warning is to be really careful when the busses stop for a break at a restaurant. They don't wait for anyone and you can easily get left behind if you don't pay attention.
Good luck!

#11129 - 05/03/01 08:39 PM Re: Buying point to point tickets in Spain
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Azboarder: Last Nov.I purchased overnight Tckts. from Seville to Barcelona 2 days before for 2 w/ sleeping arrangements with no problem.Upon arrival in Barcelona I bought 2 tckts for 5 nights later to Madrid again with no hassle. But this was in NOV.& tourism is slower. When do you need your Tckts for? If summertime I would get them a few days prior but make sure no festivals or big happenings are taling place.You will save money this way Pt.to Pt. Enjoy!

#11130 - 05/03/01 09:54 PM Re: Buying point to point tickets in Spain
azboarder Offline

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be in Madrid in about two weeks (May 20). From there I plan on going to Sevilla, Ronda, Malaga, Nerja and Granada. I just wanted to make sure that the tickets would be available to purchase while I was there. May might be sort of busy, but not as bad as July I'd imagine?

#11131 - 05/04/01 06:50 AM Re: Buying point to point tickets in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
If you want the cheapest AVE Madrid-Sevilla (Valle), plan on buying your ticket 2-3 days in advance. I tried a day in advance last year and it was sold out. confused

#11132 - 05/04/01 10:48 AM Re: Buying point to point tickets in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
It's no secret that the time of week affects your opportunities as well. Many people travel home for the weekends from Madrid to points outside. If you're traveling from Madrid, you may consider doing it M-Th, and doing the Granada-Nerja type legs on the weekends. It looks like your total trip being two weeks puts most of your travel during the middle of the week anyway.

From a sheer ticket-buying standpoint, I've never been turned away from the ticket counter anywhere, at any time of year in Spain...however, about 85% of my travel has been to points from Madrid north.

#11133 - 05/04/01 02:51 PM Re: Buying point to point tickets in Spain
azboarder Offline

You're a great help everybody! smile I'll plan on buying my tickets' 2 or 3 days ahead of time then. And yes, most of my travel will be midweek. (Madrid to Sevilla on a Wednesday or Thursday) Thanks.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments