Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10903 - 03/28/01 06:28 PM scooter in Spain
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I am considering buying a scooter or moped to assist me in my transportation needs this summer (and beyond) in Spain. I am American and will have a USA drivers lic. Is this recommended? Can I get from city to city on backroads this way? Is it a good way to explore the country? How about the cost of a scooter or moped (used)? I have yet to visit Spain so I really have no idea. Oh yeah - I will mainly be in Barcelona.

#10904 - 03/28/01 06:37 PM Re: scooter in Spain
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
Hey Jason. I will be in Spain too this summer. I was there last summer as well. Although a scooter may be fine for riding around one city I don't think I would recommend it for longer trips like city to city driving. They don't go very fast and with the way people drive in Spain I doubt it would be all that safe.

#10905 - 03/28/01 06:40 PM Re: scooter in Spain
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

thanks jensdog. I was just thinking that instead of taking the metro everywhere, it would give me more freedom. I'm the adventurous type anyway - could be fun cruising through little offbeaten towns, without the hassle of a car. Is it ok with a usa lic?

#10906 - 03/28/01 07:09 PM Re: scooter in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
While I don't know about the purchasing of mopeds in Spain, I can tell you that you shouldn't have any problems buying a used one. There are SO many in Madrid, but when we went to Barcelona in 1999 we thought ZOWY!THEY seemed to have double the number than Madrid! Most of them, VERY Unfortunately, are SO obnoxiously loud, but that's because most kids take off the mufflers to make them that way. And you can park them anywhere and are less likely to be stolen, probably, than a bicycle. Just be VERY careful. As jensdog mentions, 2-wheelers get VERY little respect on the city streets and less on open roads.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10907 - 03/29/01 03:53 AM Re: scooter in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I believe you can have up to a certain size or so (no estoy seguro...) without a bike license, however more powerful ones require it. They are good for getting around town but longer distances will be impractical as motos don't go very fast.

#10908 - 03/29/01 08:05 AM Re: scooter in Spain
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Before making too many plans, have a peek at this. It may help.......
http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000261.html , Titled: "Have the rules changed? (residence card needed to buy an auto/motorcycle?)"

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-29-2001).]

#10909 - 03/29/01 02:55 PM Re: scooter in Spain
kbc123 Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Hate to disillusion you, but you need to be a resident in order to buy a car or moto. And then you have to get a spanish drivers license. You can, however, rent a car (not sure about motos) with a US driving license. And I agree with jensdog that you can't ride motos outside of the city--they're not even allowed on highways, and they're dangerous because they go so much slower than the speed of traffic. You'd have to get a real motorcycle to do anything on the highway.

Check out renting, its not as expensive as you might think. Especially if you just get a car for trips instead of trying to do regular commuting with it.

#10910 - 03/29/01 04:29 PM Re: scooter in Spain
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
Well Jason if I almost get run down by any crazy americans on mopeds while I am in Barcelona I will know who to blame! When are you going to be there. Maybe we can hook up and take in the sites.

#10911 - 03/30/01 11:38 AM Re: scooter in Spain
Jasonbrooks72 Offline

May 7 - Aug 7, jensdog, and beyond if things work out. I'll be looking for work towards the end of summer to extend my stay. Any job offers are welcome!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1502 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments