Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10896 - 03/27/01 04:04 PM Driving and Parking in Madrid
crabtfn Offline

Loc: Fayetteville Ar U. S. A.
My wife and I will be touring in Spain in May by rental car. We plan to drive from Granada and stay two nights in Madrid at the Hostal Rivera (which we found at Madridman website). This is our first visit to Madrid. We will then be driving north to Segovia.

From what I have read about the crazy traffic, the high cost and difficulty locating parking, I wonder if we should park the car outside Madrid and take the metro in. I have driven in other conjested cities such as Guadalajara, and London with no major difficulties. How would the traffic situation compare to other cities?

In any case, once I am in Madrid I'll probably just park the car and take public transport. Are there any places in or around Madrid to park a car for a couple of days, that are reasonable cost and reasonably safe? Hostal Rivera said there is parking nearby for 2500 ptas./day. I wonder if that would be the best bet.

------------------

#10897 - 03/27/01 04:48 PM Re: Driving and Parking in Madrid
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Traffic and parking in madrid are horrible. No fun at all. Once you get to your hostel(or around that area), find a parking and leave the car there for the 2 days. You won't need it going around madrid, and you will waste soooooo much time if you do take the car around the city.... the 2500pts a day sounds about right to me. You could probably find one for 2000pts a day, but if this one is right next to your hostel then i would take it. Hmmm...one other thing....if you are arriving in Madrid on a Friday or Saturday evening then the traffic will be much worse and a lot of parking lots will be completo(full) with cars lined up ready to wait for a vacancy...ok this happens only in the center i assume...but anyways, just a warning to you...
Have great trip!
Rhonda

#10898 - 03/27/01 05:38 PM Re: Driving and Parking in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Most public parkings in Madrid are run by the city council and they have the same prices (about 2400 pesetas per day).

Close to my hostal there are three private parkings which used to be much cheaper than the public ones but now they are charging 2000 pesetas per day.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10899 - 03/28/01 04:31 PM Re: Driving and Parking in Madrid
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
You should park your car in a little town like El Escorial or Tres Cantos and leave it on the street (without valuables showing of course). It should be fine there for a couple days and you can just take the train into town.

#10900 - 03/28/01 05:59 PM Re: Driving and Parking in Madrid
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
You've probably already thought of this...but you may want to visit Madrid at the beginning or end of your trip. We're leaving it for the end so that we can drop off our rental car at a Gran Via location on a Sunday. Then we'll take the Aerocity Shuttle to Barajas for our early morning flight later that week.

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-28-2001).]

#10901 - 03/28/01 08:40 PM Re: Driving and Parking in Madrid
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hi, Carole-
If you're renting from Avis, I can tell you where the drop-off on Gran Via is...it will be on your right as you go from the Cibeles fountain toward Puerta del Sol, four or so blocks past Calles Hortaleza and Fuencarral (which you'll also see on your right). Once you see the little storefront (not very well marked if you're going fast), turn RIGHT onto the next street and go into the underground parking garage.

You take a ticket and go to the second level underground, and there is someone to check you in (you have to go back up to street level to finish up at the office on Gran Via, though). We had NO IDEA where we were going...ended up double parked while I ran into the Avis office...cut off a bunch of taxis...so I hope this saves you a little headache.

Oh, and as for driving in Madrid, it's horrid! Just take it easy and try to have your directions in your head so that you don't have to try to navigate too much!
Tara

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-28-2001).]

#10902 - 03/29/01 10:59 AM Re: Driving and Parking in Madrid
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Thank you so-o-o much, taravb. That type of (detailed) information is very, very helpful. Although we're renting through Auto Europe, return is at the Avis location at 60 Gran Via. Since we'll be returning on a Sunday after office hours, we'll be getting no help on that end. I remember our frustration in Rome. We had made arrangements to return our car at the railroad station but figuring out exactly where was mind-boggling, even after repeatedly asking!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1603 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments