Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10207 - 12/07/00 01:55 PM Mt biking safety?
rmsaf Offline

Loc: Kindsbach, Germany
Hello, Need to get some info. on traveling in Spain! I will be coming from Germany by train probably to Madrid and plan on riding my Mt bike down to Sevilla then to the coast of Cadiz. Can anyone give me info on safety issues? I might take buses and trains, but the majority of the trip I plan to make on Mt bike. Any info anyone can give me will be very helpful!!
Thanks

#10208 - 12/08/00 02:49 PM Re: Mt biking safety?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi rmsaf,
Sorry, I am not into bikes but I would say it is pretty safe to ride from Madrid to sevilla. Bikes are not allowed in the highway so you have to find secondary roads, which would make your trip longer but prettier. I am sorry I am not much help, but hopefully someone else will give you advices.
Have a safe trip!
Nuria

#10209 - 12/08/00 03:03 PM Re: Mt biking safety?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Last year I ordered a book on bike trips in Spain through Borders, but they were never able to get me a copy. Once I realized that I wasn't going to be able to make the trip this year, I put the books on the backburner for a while. I know there is some literature out there, however.

I would go to MadridMan's All Spain market and maybe to do a book search. If there isn't anything under Spain, there are a few books on biking Europe.

As for the message board, there is a thread on biking the Camino de Santiago, but I haven't seen anything on biking in the South.

Please let me know if you find anything, because I am also really interested.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 12-08-2000).]

#10210 - 12/10/00 11:10 AM Re: Mt biking safety?
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
rmsaf- I ride year-round here in the DC metro area, but dude, I'd think very carefully before making that trip on my bike.

I just returned from a (car) trip through Andalucia, and while I saw many roads and (possible) trails I would have loved to ride, those thoughts were usually swept away pretty quickly by the realization of how much disregard drivers have for pedestrians, nevermind bikes.

This isn't to say it couldn't be done- in fact, the road from Sevilla to Malaga (via Ronda) would be an execellent ride (but you'd better be in some hellified shape). Mostly wide shoulders, rolling hills (not to bad), and some spectacular scenery once you get closer to Ronda (but here the road narrows, the hills up are pretty punishing, and there are too many dents in the guard rails for my comfort).

I guess what I'm saying is that if you do it, plan it well, with lots of information ahead of time (in contrast to say, most of the east coast in the US, where I'd have no real qualms about just setting off). It can be done, I'd think, but only with great care.

#10211 - 12/12/00 04:55 AM Re: Mt biking safety?
MunchiMike Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, U.S...
Heir auf mit das kvatsh mein freund! dO yOU rEALLY WANT TO TAKE THAT KIND OF TIME?While I do agree with Nicole, my addendum reads;....lose the bike,..get blades!!!blades you can put in your backpack and jump on a bys, train, plane,......a bike?!? aw hell, du weist!.......Rwev. Mike

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1618 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments