Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90642 - 03/07/12 08:25 PM Madrid - Aeropuerto to Plaza Carmen?
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, all...

For those following my saga on another thread, I am now done buying train tickets.

Now I'm looking for a good way to get from T1 to Plaza Carmen, which is in the triangle with Metro stops Callao, Gran Vía, and Sol as points - so any of those stops is OK.

When we were last in Madrid there was no Sol train stop, and it took two transfers by Metro. Looking at the situation now, it appears that the new alternative is train-to-Atocha; then Metro to Sol. Or possibly bus to Cibeles, then Metro to Sol.

I wonder if these really aren't any faster than just staying on the Metro, since they involve multiple ticket purchases rather than the easy Metro changes.

I await recommendations. (FYI - we have only wheeled carry-ons - no big luggage. We arrive at Barajas at 8:35 - probably won't be out of the airport till after rush-hour.)

SS

Edited by MadridMan (03/09/12 04:36 AM)
Edit Reason: to embed graphics

#90655 - 03/09/12 04:32 AM Re: Madrid - Aeropuerto to Plaza Carmen? [Re: Madrid in May]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Take a look at the city's official bus website for from-to points at http://www.emtmadrid.es/mapaweb/emt.html . The website takes a little getting used to, but if you click one of the bus graphics on the Plaza de la Cibeles a window will pop-up to show you the BUS STOP LOCATION as well as the bus numbers which stop there. The stop at which the airport shuttle bus stops is at/near stop number 69. At this number 69 bus stop, it says bus number 1, 2, 9, 15, 20, 51, 52, 53, 74, 146, 202, 203, and some nighttime buses, too. If you click on those individual numbers, one-by-one, the map will show you the route of that particular bus number. I see you can get bus number 1 (direction: Cristo del Rey), number 2 (direction: Reina Victoria), 74 (direction: Pintor-Rosales), 146 (direction: Callao), and 202 (direction: Reina Victoria). All these buses will stop on Gran Via, JUST PAST the Gran Via metro station (and Calle de Montera). You'll get off, CROSS the Gran Via heading south, and south on the Calle de la Salud, one block, to the Plaza del Carmen.

http://www.metromadrid.es/ says T1 to Gran Via metro station takes about 43 minutes and involves making 2 changes, 3 total metro lines. The down side of this is the walking more to make those line changes. Whereas taking the express will drop you essentially at the same place you'll get the next city bus to (near) your destination on Gran Vía.

If it's raining (doubtful!!), I'd definitely take the metro to get your near your place without having to wait on Plaza de Cibeles for your connecting city bus, potentially in the rain if there are a lot of people waiting in line. Rain also causes slow-downs and potential back-ups on the highway artery entering/exiting the city.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90670 - 03/10/12 03:25 PM Re: Madrid - Aeropuerto to Plaza Carmen? [Re: MadridMan]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Might be easier to take the express bus to Atocha (or the train-Metro there), then up to Gran Via and Cale Montera -- there are steps at Cale Montera, but not impossible woth luggage - I have done it!

Also, at Plaza Carmen, a wonderful Italian Restaurant - Garbo -- try it for sure!!!

#90684 - 03/13/12 09:06 AM Re: Madrid - Aeropuerto to Plaza Carmen? [Re: Silver Traveler]
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
I think I'll just stick to Metro - - too bad the train only goes to T4.

Train-to-Atocha - then Metro sounds fastest...but we're flying USAir and I think that parks at T1 - at least it did last time we were here.

SilverTraveler - I'll check out that restaurant. We're staying at Hostal Acapulco - same as last visit - right on Plaza Carmen.

SS

#90690 - 03/14/12 05:14 AM Re: Madrid - Aeropuerto to Plaza Carmen? [Re: Madrid in May]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
metro goes to T4, to Nuevos Ministerios then cercanias train to Atocha. Metro goes by T1,2,3 stop too lol!

very easy I did last month.
Cheers

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments