Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17098 - 03/13/07 04:12 AM Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'd always heard (by people in "the family") that one had to carry a Resident card in order to be able to buy the monthly "Bono" for metro/bus.

Has/Had this changed or could anyone off the street ALWAYS buy a monthly "bono" no matter their residency status?

I ask because when I first arrived I was told (by a family member) that I could not because I didn't yet have my residency card.

As far as I can see on the www.MetroMadrid.es website, there are no restrictions for this.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17099 - 03/13/07 09:45 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
I have just called 012 (the Madrid Community info phone) and asked "what does a foreigner need to get the Travel Card Monthly Pass?". Their response: (s)he only needs his/her passport and ID-size photos. I insisted, "Only passport, no residency card?" and they said "only passport".

So you can go to the tobacco shop closer to your home and fill up a form to get your Travel Card. you will have to chose what zones you want it to be valid for, according to this map (Madrid city is zone A, zone B1 is zone A+the surrounding villages, etc. For a complete list of the villages included in every zone, visit this Webpage and click on the "Zonas" link). That shop will receive it in a reasonable time (can't say how long for sure, they will tell you). All you have to do then is picking it up and buy the monthly coupon every month you need it.

#17100 - 03/13/07 11:22 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow! You're REALLY something/someone special, Torrales! Thanks!

I appreciate the clarification. Should we assume the applicant should have an actual address? Maybe that's not necessary. I mean, if the person is staying at a "home stay" home or even in a hostal, for example, I wonder if they could get the pass. We assume the pass will be returned to the place where the person applied in order to get/collect it, correct? I'm surprised they wouldn't want to mail it to the applicant's home address.

A number of people around me already have the pass CARD with their photo and, as you mention above, they simply take that, show it, and request the new monthly bono/pass at the tobacco shops or at the metro stations in order to buy the new one. I would imagine it takes some time to process the initial request.

I'm curious if someone visiting Madrid for one month could get it in a timely manner in order to use it, to be worth it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#17101 - 03/13/07 03:11 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
No, you absolutely don't need a residency card. In fact, one of the ways that illegal immigrants who didn't "empadronar" prove that they have been in Spain when they apply for an amnesty is to present the history of their transportation "bono". Whether it is worth it or not would depend on how much you are going to use the metro/bus...

#17102 - 03/13/07 04:20 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Torrales Offline

You're welcome, MadridMan. smile

I don't have it, because to make it worth, one has to do about 60 trips per month, and I don't reach that number, but I have seen many people filling the form in the tobacco shops and I am almost sure that an address is required. But I don't think they check if it is a hostal or a permanent address or else.

And the full process is:
1. Go to the shop
2. Fill up the form
3. Pay 1.20 euros
4. The clerk will tell you when you should come back to the same place to pick it up (I think it must be around two weeks)
5. Then, every month it is your choice to buy the monthly pass or not. You have no obligation to buy it a number of months, or even ever.

For someone visiting Madrid for shorter periods, there are Tourist Passes, that are more suitable. There are for 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7-days, and for zone A (only Madrid city) or zone T (the whole Madrid region, plus Toledo by bus, not train). They are issued immediately, but the constraint is that they are not available almost everywhere, like the 'regular' pass, but only in certain places (the most touristic). To get the full info about this pass, go to http://www.ctm-madrid.es/ click on English at the top of the page, and then on "Tourist Travel Pass" at the bottom of the page.

#17103 - 03/13/07 08:00 PM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...it would appear that the real good deal is the one month pass for senior citizens. Does anyone know what the qualifying age is?

#17104 - 03/14/07 01:53 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
nevado Offline

You have to be 65 to qualify for the 3a edad (senior) rate.

I might be wrong, but I swear last month I waited in line at the estanco behind two new applicants and they walked away with their new abono transporte.

#17105 - 03/14/07 07:04 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
janel Offline

Yes nevado you are right, You can get the abono when you are at the estanco, no need to come back later, all they do is stick your photo on the card, write your info and put the laminate on it.

So, in response to MadridMan, a person who is here for only a month could in effect get it but at around 40 euros they would have to be doing a lot of trips for it to be worth it, as Torrales mentioned. Also its only valid from March 1 to March 31st, (as an example) so if you are here from March 15 to April 15 its not really an option.

#17106 - 03/14/07 08:35 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Just to agree with MM when I arrived I had no Spanish documentation but was ussued an abono with my passport (UK) used as ID.

I always found them fantastic valur and reckon that simply for the convenience if you were staying more than 1 week, they are a worthwhile investment.

By the by, I thought an abono was a season ticket and Bono was a dodgy Irish singer. wink

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#17107 - 03/14/07 09:17 AM Re: Madrid: Monthly "Bono" for Metro/Bus?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hmmmm.. seems we have 2 differing opinions about whether or not you can get the monthly abono (for the first time) on your first visit to the Estanco/Tobacco Shop or if you have to wait.

Maybe it's different depending on the tobacco shop? Maybe some have the lamenating equipment and some don't?? Maybe that's why some people have to return to pick up the initial bono pass card?? ARGH! rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1992 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments