Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#16907 - 09/12/06 05:50 PM Booking train tiks from North America vs in Spain
cosmo57 Offline

Loc: toronto
A lot of this has been discussed in previous threads but I need to bring it up again in case there is new info out there (and partically also to vent my frustration at the Travel Gods).

As many know, the Renfe english website requires a N.I.F. (a Spanish identification number) to book and unlike others in previous postings I have tried repeatedly to submit my passport # or a random eight digits and niether works.
This is unfortunate because to book tickets with RailEurope from North America they seem to be charging a full 50 Euro more a ticket for 1st Class passage from Madrid to Barcelona.

Therefore I either take the hit or try to book my tickets from Madrid in the three days I am there before heading to Barcelona.

The down side of booking in Madrid of course is spending the time in Atocha (or at the the airport after landing) and risking things being booked up (less likely I suppose with the many Madrid-Barcelona trains throughout the day.

Anyone have any new thoughts about this since it was discussed in the past?
Does anyone know whether there are now automatic machines in Atocha where I could make my purchase?
Can one purchase one's tickets from a Madrid travel agent off the street and save waiting in line at Atocha?
How long do you think one would need to wait queing up at Atocha?
Why would the Rail Europe site be so much more?

Thanks

#16908 - 09/12/06 07:56 PM Re: Booking train tiks from North America vs in Spain
ned Offline

Loc: USA
...cosmo57...as regards booking at the RENFE airport office, provided you are there during their 'hours' you should not have a long wait (or wait at all!). When i used it i went straight to the counter with no one ahead of me!! If you have 3 days before your train ride you may be OK especially if you are a little flexibe regards departure time. If you are going first class it will probably be even easier.

...You may ask your hotel in Madrid to sort out the booking for you?!

...What may throw things is if you are wanting to travel during a holiday or special event (.eg. soccer game)

...if you pay me the right fees i will fly over and sort it out for you.....hehehe

#16909 - 09/12/06 11:43 PM Re: Booking train tiks from North America vs in Spain
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I would fly! I was on the Air Europa website looking into flights in mid October (MAD-BCN) and the fare was 18-28 euros one way. This was for a 2 day trip with no Saturday stay.

#16910 - 09/13/06 03:28 AM Re: Booking train tiks from North America vs in Spain
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Have you tried this?

Quote:
How to buy tickets online?

You will have to write in the corresponding place of the form (DNI or identification card) the 8 first numbers of your passport.
Source: http://www.renfe.es/atencion_cliente/english.html

#16911 - 09/13/06 09:05 PM Re: Booking train tiks from North America vs in Spain
cosmo57 Offline

Loc: toronto
Amazingly, since yesterday the website has changed and they now ask for "ID no." as oppossed to "N.I.F." Now when I type in my Canadian passport number it works! When I tried it yesterday it did not work. Maybe Renfe monitors MadridMan.
Anyway, for first time users I still have to pick up my tickets at Atocha so I still will have to que up.
Anyone know whether the line to pick up tickets is any shorter than the one purchase?

Good tip on flying however I would still have to schlep to MAD airport and downtown from BCN. If I did do this what is the best way to get to and from MAD?

#16912 - 09/14/06 03:33 AM Re: Booking train tiks from North America vs in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
cosmo57, yes, the line to pick up tickets at Atocha should be a bit shorter and move quite a bit faster than the one TO BUY TICKETS. But the last time I was there (March 2006) there was much confusion about the lines. They had some makeshift, hand-written sign at the very front of the line (which no one could see until they reached it) so everyone was standing in the same line. That was several months ago so hopefully that's been changed/modified/updated/corrected.

As ned above mentions, try getting your tickets when you arrive at Barajas Airport. It could save you A LOT OF TIME as compared to going to Atocha to get them.

You could also have bought/got your tickets at any El Corte Inglés (shopping center) travel office. I don't think you can pick them up, however, now that you've already bought them online.

And I'm not 100% sure but I'm nearly certain there are electronic RENFE TICKET kiosks throughout Atocha to buy your ticket from a computer screen, much like at an ATM. I did this at the Barcelona Sants train station last March and when I was in Madrid Atocha (waiting and waiting in line for more than an hour - I finally gave up and called them to have the tickets delivered to me at home for a very small fee) I saw a few of these electronic kiosks but they were broken or being serviced. In Barcelona Sants there were dozens of them all in perfectly working order. I just entered my information, credit card number, and bingo! My tickets were printed and given right there and then.

The train trip from Madrid to Barcelona - at least for the first two hour - isn't much to look at. But the last half of the trip or so is quite nice, hillier, then you have the mediterranean to look out over for quite a ways too! You'll find the restrooms to be nice and rather clean too. The dining car is more of a "bar car" where there are no tables or chairs, just a standing counter bar along both sides of the car with good views through the large windows. There, they serve mainly sandwiches, breakfasts, and snacks and any drink you'd want. Oh, and by the way, when/if you order a sandwich, they'll serve it on a thick, plastic tray. Don't be confused. This tray is to be returned - NOT TO BE THROWN AWAY. I was a bit confused my first time as I couldn't imagine putting this small, thick tray in the trash (I don't think it would fit - probably by design - in the trash slot anyway). I thought, "If this is to throw away, I'm taking it home with me!" So return the tray to the bartender.

As it hasn't been mentioned here in this particular thread, seats are assigned. And as people are getting on and getting off at the different stops you'll have to stay in your assigned seat. Have your tickets handy along the way as the "conductor" will check them (probably only once).

The Madrid<->Barcelona train trip was my first ever (not counting a short one from Madrid to Toledo) and I have to tell you I was thrilled. It was relaxing, comfortable, seats were spacious was was the legroom. Free (low-quality) headphones to listen to a number of recorded musical stations as well as the movie on the monitors on each car.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1595 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments