Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#16245 - 11/03/05 09:44 PM Trains: First class or second?
Bess Offline

Can anyone tell me the difference between first and second class on the AVE? Are the seats reserved in both classes? We don't need a lot of luxury, but we're traveling with big suitcases so we don't want to have to scramble to get unreserved seats. Thanks.

#16246 - 11/04/05 05:44 AM Re: Trains: First class or second?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
You must buy a reservation for any AVE Trains. All seats on AVE are reserved.

Overhead luggage racks are pretty small, but at the end of the Carriage you'll find racks that will accomodate any size suitcases, Backpacks or rolling duffle bags. cool

#16247 - 11/04/05 08:46 AM Re: Trains: First class or second?
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I taken second class on AVE. Comfortable, clean and plenty of leg room.

Bill

#16248 - 11/04/05 09:49 PM Re: Trains: First class or second?
Jana Offline

Loc: Tucson
There are actually three classes, the top 2 being preferente and club, I think. I have traveled club (top) and don't think it is worth the extra money. Preferente is good if you are looking for some special treatment and it is very nice. But the regular tickets are comfortable and relaxing. I wouldn't hesitate to go for the least expensive tickets if you would like to save some money. You will arrive relaxed and refreshed, much better than flying.

#16249 - 11/07/05 08:14 PM Re: Trains: First class or second?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Last Semana Santa I made the mistake of not purchasing my AVE tickets far enough in advance so I had the opportunity of taking the first (preferente) and club classes. I definately would not pay extra for these services again-it's just not worth the extra expense in my opinion.

For both classes you get entrance into the lounge at train stations - similar to the airport lounges with free drinks, newspaper, etc...

In first you get a meal but you don't get a choice. It's basically similar to the service we used to get on the airlines when we traveled across country. In club you order from a menu for your meal. Now, about the meal.....I love spanish food laugh , but this was the absolute worst meal I have ever had in spain. It was the blandest meal I've had in my life. I even had to add salt (which is unheard of for me in Spain) eek

It was nice having extra legroom and our carriage was in the front of the train so we got out first (and to the taxi stand first). But really not worth the extra $.

#16250 - 11/15/05 02:17 PM Re: Trains: First class or second?
Kathi Browne Offline

Loc: Madisonville, KY
Wow. Things must have changed. We took a train back in 2000 and went cheap coming and first class going. The leg room was well worth the extra few bucks. We were served wine the whole way there.

Is it not like that now? I'd like to know because I'm preparing for a trip this summer.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1563 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments