Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#14403 - 02/22/04 09:38 AM Madrid: Best way to travel to Toledo
MarchTravel Offline

Loc: Cleveland
What is the best way to travel to Toledo? We're flying overnight from the U.S., then plan to take a cab to the bus station from the airport, then take the bus to Toledo - We will have luggage (like 4 bags between the 2 of us) because we'll be staying in Spain longer. Is the bus the best way to go?

#14404 - 02/22/04 05:00 PM Re: Madrid: Best way to travel to Toledo
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You know, if I were you I'd take the train from Madrid's Atocha train station to Toledo. I did it this way last spring and it was very nice and very comfortable. You can get schedules and prices on the RENFE site @ http://www.RENFE.es . Trains are typically MUCH more spacious and the trip is nice too. The price is just a little more expensive than the bus but not by much. From the Toledo train station you'll want to take a taxi to .. wherever .. if you have 4 bags. The public bus would be impossible.

Going by bus is the cheapest way to go but the 1-hour ride is a little more cramped. You'll find an informative thread on this topic, which bus company makes this route with website link, and where to get the bus, in the " Where to catch bus?:Madrid->Toledo/Segovia " thread.

Since the bus station is on the southern side of Madrid I'd imagine the taxi fare will be substantial (about 5-7 times the cost of one bus ticket to Toledo! eek ) so prepare yourself for that.

Best of luck and enjoy beautiful Toledo!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#14405 - 03/03/04 08:26 AM Re: Madrid: Best way to travel to Toledo
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
I prefer the train, but right now it is under constuction. You have to get off, take a bus, then get back on. It is better to take the bus. It costs less than 4€ and there are buses every half hour. The direct bus is 15 minutes faster but the regional is interesting. I like going through the little places and seeing stuff on the way. I just take which ever bus leaves first. The seats are assigned so look for your plaza number on your ticket. There is always someone who cares about being in the correct seat and it causes a chain reaction making many change seats!!

I just did the bus to and from Toledo and it was simple. They run out of the Méndez Älvero station. You can use the metro (gray Line #6) to get there.

If you do not need all your bags, you might consider using the Consigna to store some of it while you are exploring. It cost 3.78€ for a nice sixed locker. More for a huge one, but still affordable.

The bus has storage below for your bags so that is not a problem.

#14406 - 03/03/04 07:21 PM Re: Madrid: Best way to travel to Toledo
jomon Offline

Loc: Japan via Seattle
Sel, You mentioned that the train to Toledo is under construction right now. Any idea how long that will last?

I have a daytrip planned to Toledo with a group of students on Mar 11, but might consider changing the date if the trains are down...

Thanks for sharing your wisdom smile

#14407 - 03/04/04 04:23 AM Re: Madrid: Best way to travel to Toledo
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
The 'traditional' line Madrid-Toledo is out of order since June'03 due to the works on the new high-speed line Madrid-Toledo. I have searched the RENFE Website, but I couldn't find any expected reopening time. Surely it will be during this year, but I cannot say any date.

During this month I would take the bus instead.

#14408 - 05/11/04 05:43 PM Re: Madrid: Best way to travel to Toledo
mandolynn Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I was just reading about this, apparently the train line is scheduled to be done around 2006. Whew! Take the bus, I suppose.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2689 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments