Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13860 - 05/20/03 01:49 AM Renfe Ticket Info
Zenorita Offline

Loc: NYC
Hi,

I'm trying to buy a train ticket (Madrid-Malaga) on the Renfe website , but it states that first time buyers need to purchase tickets and show their credit cards in person.
Does anyone know if there is a way around this? Is there a Renfe ticket office at Barajas airport? I'll be arriving in Spain 2 days before I plan to take the train to Malaga, will this leave enough time to get a ticket?

Any advice would be appreciated.

#13861 - 05/24/03 09:13 AM Re: Renfe Ticket Info
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
There is a RENFE office at the airport. I have taken the train round trip from Madrid to Malaga three times and had no trouble getting reservations for the next train when I arrived at the station. The trains leave frequently every day. If you are going at peak season or on a holiday, it may be more difficult. I still believe you will not have a problem getting a reservation.

Good luck and have a great trip.

#13862 - 05/25/03 02:11 PM Re: Renfe Ticket Info
vicnric Offline

Try searching on Google's Group tab for "Renfe online sales". This will bring up a series of replies re: this subject. It would appear that you can order tickets online using a credit card but must pickup the tickets at a Renfe station. It seems that you can code in a portion of your passport number as the unique identifier when ordering and then present your passport to pickup your tickets in Spain. However, I have not used this method, only read of it with interest. Perhaps another reader of this forum has successfully ordered tickets online in this fashion and will offer concrete advice.

#13863 - 05/27/03 02:48 PM Re: Renfe Ticket Info
joanie Offline

Loc: South Carolina
On May 8 we waited over two hours to have our 'take a number' called to purchase tickets on the AVE (fast train) from Madrid to Malaga at the main train station, Atocha. When we boarded the train May 10 at 12:25 p.m. we found many available seats, although the ticket agent had booked each of us in a different coach. Four were traveling together. We had no problem moving into one coach. If was recommended purchasing our tickets a day or so before travel.

#13864 - 05/29/03 09:37 PM Re: Renfe Ticket Info
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
I always purchase at least the first leg of my trip online. Using tiknet for the first time you just have to show your ID and credit card when you pick up your tickets. I usually just walk right up to the RENFE ticketing booth at the airport when I arrive and avoid the lines at the stations.

If you don't purchase ahead of time and it's a holiday you could have major problems. In April I visited Spain during Semana Santa and a lady that came in on the same flight as me was heading to Malaga. She didn't purchase tickets ahead of time and ending up having to wait until midnight that night for a train. This was after a transatlantic flight and she only had a week for the entire trip. frown

#13865 - 05/30/03 02:47 AM Re: Renfe Ticket Info
Zenorita Offline

Loc: NYC
Well, I guess I'll buy my ticket online then!

Thank you all for the advice.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2880 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments