Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13651 - 03/18/03 01:23 PM flights cancelled?
rachelw745 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
does anyone think flights from US to Spain will be cancelled if we go to war? I'm leaving on Friday. (I hope)

#13652 - 03/18/03 02:01 PM Re: flights cancelled?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
According to an article on the TRAVEL section of the CNN.com website HERE :
Quote:
US Airways acknowledged some drop-off but said it wouldn't assume any particular reason for cancellations.

"Generally this is a slow time of year for us anyway and we see bookings fall off a bit," a spokesperson told CNN, adding that the airline has a "Peace of Mind" plan prepared if the U.S. goes to war or enters a code red on the homeland security scale. "Once [the plan] is in place then we can start tracking to see if and why people do cancel their flights."

Two airlines reported no declines. "It is business as usual," a Southwest Airlines spokesperson said. American Airlines said travel loads have been "normal and even up to some degree."

All but one of the airlines said they have plans for changes if war breaks out, but only two would offer details. United Airlines said it was "prepared to reduce capacity by 10 to 12 percent if necessary." American Airlines will reduce flying schedules if necessary, but the airline was taking a wait-and-see attitude.

"American's contingency plan includes a reduction in the flying schedule, but it's too early to say how much of a reduction will be required," it said. "Once we determine the extent of the military action, we can make knowledgeable decisions about better matching our schedules to the expected drop in domestic and international passenger demand."
Also on CNN's Travel page HERE is an article entitled Doyle: Risk to American travelers minimal.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#13653 - 03/18/03 02:02 PM Re: flights cancelled?
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
The answer to your question I don't know. I would expect some kind of postponement/delay/schedule change.
By extension, what about summer travel to Spain?? How will the war affect us who are going to Spain this summer???
Anyone??

#13654 - 03/18/03 02:45 PM Re: flights cancelled?
rachelw745 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Thanks for the article MadridMan, you've put my mind at ease a little.

#13655 - 03/18/03 10:22 PM Re: flights cancelled?
Melinda328 Offline

Loc: Madrid
Yes - I need to know about SUMMER! I'm moving there on June 2 and I do NOT want to be stuck here!!

Melinda

#13656 - 03/19/03 09:08 AM Re: flights cancelled?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Yikes, this has become the hot topic among the students on my study abroad program here at La Universidad de Granada. I am scheduled for an Iberia flight back to Chicago in May (Not that I would mind being stuck here...hmmmm). So far the word from our advisors is that it will depend on the severity or seriousness of the war at that time (we are still talking about 2 months away), as far was flight reductions, etc.

Does anybody know exactly how or what would happen in the case that flights were cancelled or reduced? Iv had a ticket booked home for almost 5 months, they would have to honor it in someway right??

#13657 - 03/26/03 12:12 PM Re: flights cancelled?
willson Offline

Loc: Almería
An example - -
My Delta flights for next month, New York <-> Madrid, have been cancelled but they've offered loads of alternatives for flying with them or other associated carriers:
1) same dates
2) different dates
3) same routing
4) different routing / origin / destination
5) reimbursement/refund (credit for future flights)
and, my original ticket was a dead-low fare.
None-the-less they were very accomodating. I decide to come sooner than originally planned, stay longer and change my return destination; no additional charges / penalties.

#13658 - 03/26/03 05:07 PM Re: flights cancelled?
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
There are some news reports that airlines will be cutting back on trans-atlantic flights because they expect less traffic, but there won't be any wholesale cancellation of flights. What that means is that your specific flight might be cancelled, but that the airline should offer you relatively reasonable alternatives as the previous poster indicated.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2744 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments