Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#13307 - 01/09/03 02:55 PM Heading from Toledo to MAD - drop rental car at airport or dowtown?
Sheri Offline

Hello,

I'm going to be picking up a rental car at MAD immediately on arrival to first spend a few days in Toledo and out exploring. Back in MAD, I'll be staying at the Westin. I'm looking for some advice on whether I should return the car back at the airport and take a cab or the Aerocity shuttle back into town; or if I would save some time and money by dropping the car at a downtown location. I've never been to Madrid so don't know if it would be absolutely crazy to attempt driving downtown even if it is just straight to the rental car location. I have driven in London, Paris and several other European cities and regularly drive in San Francisco so I'm not completely inexperienced at city driving, however I would never drive in Rome or Athens.

What would your advice be? Will it cost me much extra in time to take it back to the airport?

Thank you!

#13308 - 01/09/03 08:39 PM Re: Heading from Toledo to MAD - drop rental car at airport or dowtown?
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
Madrid is really easy to drive in compared to Paris. So, if you can handle driving in Paris, (?!), Madrid will seem like a small town.

#13309 - 01/10/03 12:55 PM Re: Heading from Toledo to MAD - drop rental car at airport or dowtown?
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Coming through the N-401 (the road to Toledo) will take you easily to Atocha. If your rental company let you drop the car at Atocha railway station, then it will be easier than getting to the airport with the car.

#13310 - 01/10/03 02:33 PM Re: Heading from Toledo to MAD - drop rental car at airport or dowtown?
Sheri Offline

Thanks very much. I will make arrangements to drop the car at Atocha station. I appreciate the suggestion.

#13311 - 01/10/03 03:22 PM Re: Heading from Toledo to MAD - drop rental car at airport or dowtown?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
There is also a rental drop-off location for Avis (we rented with them through AutoEurope) on the Gran Via. I don't know where the Westin is, but that may be another option if you rent with them. When we picked up at the airport and dropped off at the Gran Via location, there was no extra charge.

You'll be fine driving in the city (and the Gran Via, like Atocha, is easy to find). It's easier than Rome by far (don't know Athens)--but still crowded, of course! Try not to arrive at traditional rush hour times (which, like in most cities, are LONG!).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2185 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments