Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12890 - 07/29/02 12:21 PM Seville to Algeciras
engineerbecs Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,

Ive had a look at various guidebooks and searched the web but Im still not sure which is the best way to get from Seville to Algeciras. How long is the total journey via train (I know that you have to go via Bobadilla or Ronda)? I have also read that there are direct bus services from Seville to Algeciras, how long do these take?

Thanks in advance for any help, happy travels!

#12891 - 07/29/02 03:04 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi engineerbecs!

I just searched the forum for you (using the handy-dandy SEARCH link above/right) and found the following threads which you'll find useful:

algeciras to sevilla train route
, Sevilla to Algeciras
, Seville to Algeciras/La Linea/Gilbratar
, and there were about a dozen others. I just used ALGECIRAS SEVILLA as my keywords and found them.

Good luck and have fun! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#12892 - 08/02/02 04:06 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
I'm not sure if you have budget or time constraints but if I were you, I would consider renting a car. I did, when I was in Andalusia last Dec/Jan. I picked up the car at the Santa Justa train station in Sevilla and eventually dropped it off in Cordoba. There was no extra charge for dropping it off at a different location. I drove down to Arcos, Cadiz, Zahara de las Atunes, Algeciras, Marbella, Malaga, Granada, Jaen and Cordoba. There were many other places along the way that I stopped and visited. It was well worth and not that expensive at less than $20 per day for a 4-door Citroen Picasso. I used www.alamo.com and picked up the car at the Atesa office in Santa Justa, Sevilla. Just my 2 cents worth.

#12893 - 08/03/02 12:47 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Cornelio,
Thank you for your informative post. I want to go back to Spain, and specifically visit Sevilla, Arcos, Cadiz, Algeciras, Ronda, and Granada next December, around Christmas time, and was wondering if renting a car would be the best way to go. Are the roads easy to navigate? I'm a cautious driver and have been known to drive on the slow side. Do you think I would have any problems driving that route? Language is not a barrier for me.
Thanks,
Booklady

#12894 - 08/03/02 05:12 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
engineerbecs writes:
Quote:
... Im still not sure which is the best way to get from Seville to Algeciras. ... I have also read that there are direct bus services from Seville to Algeciras, how long do these take?
You have to get the bus at Sevilla's 'old' main bus terminal (Prado de San Sebastian) and it should take less than 3-hours; but buses don't run that frequently (about every 2-hours) so you could end up waiting ... I don't know where you could get a bus schedule, or if it might be more efficient to go to Cadiz (Train or bus) and bus from there.

#12895 - 08/03/02 10:06 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
I just made that trip last month. Eddie is completely correct. Go to the old bus station "Prado de San Sebastian". It's accross the street from the Jardines de Murrillo, but it's set back and is not clearly marked---- even if you're looking right at it, so ask for help if you're nearby and can't find it.

It's about a 3 hour trip (there is a pit stop at a bar alongside the road near Vejer so you can go to the bathroom). The trip goes fast. The beautiful countryside keeps you from getting bored. The bus drives south to Cadiz, and then east along the southern coast.

Have a good trip!!

#12896 - 08/05/02 11:38 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
Hey Booklady,

Sorry for the tardy response. I think December is really one of the best times to visit Andalusia. I was there from Dec 26 of last year for about 10 days and had a wonderful time. I was a bit discouraged when I landed in Madrid and saw snow on the ground but my spirit perked up after I rode the AVE train and arrived in Sevilla. It was sunny and just absolutely wonderful during the 2 days I stayed there. In fact, those were the warmest days I encountered during that trip. From there, I drove south, after picking up the car at the Sevilla train station, and stopped whenever and wherever I felt like it. The weather was mostly overcast, not terribly cold, with sunshine every now and then.

So to answer your question, yes, I think renting a car is the best option for that area. Specially since it's not that expensive. In fact, it's downright cheap compared to other European countries. I'm sure you could take buses and trains, but you just would not have the flexibility of going and stopping at remote places and it's usually those unexpected places that make the trip memorable. For example, I passed by this small town on the Costa de la Luz called Zahara de las Atunes where there is a very nice hotel called Melia Atlanterra. Unfortunately, they were closed for the winter, but I would definitely want to go back there someday. Cadiz was nice but I regret that I did not have time to drive further west to Huelva. Oh well, maybe next time.

As for the driving itself, it was a breeze. In fact, I think you will really feel at home if you are a slow driver because I did notice that there was a lot of slower drivers, even on the freeways, as compared to the States. But they were very courteous and were not road hazards at all. The only part that could present some problems for you is the drive to Ronda. It's a steep winding road and the day I attempted to drive there from Malaga, it was a bit overcast and getting late in the day. As the road stared to climb, it got very foggy and the traffic slowed down to a crawl and I decided to turn back. But, if the weather is good and you get an early enough start, driving to Ronda should be no problem.

One of the things I did was take the ferry from Algeciras to Ceuta, a Spanish enclave in Northern Africa, and stayed there overnight, after having parked the car in a public lot right there at the Algeciras port. From Ceuta, I took a day trip to Tetouan and Tangiers. I think Ceuta is a better port for entering Northern Africa, because unlike Tangiers, you won't get swarmed by guides trying to separate you from your money.

Although I did not care much for Marbella because it was just too touristy, I stayed at a most wonderful parador in Malaga, the Gibralfaro parador. It is located on top of this hill where the Gilbralfaro castle is, and it is one of the highest points in Malaga. Tremendous views of the Malaga port, the bull ring, the town itself. It was somewhat expensive compared to other paradors at over 100 Euro per night but it was well worth it.

That's all for now and I hope you have a wonderful trip.

#12897 - 08/06/02 11:01 AM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hi Booklady -

Having driven the route you are planning (Sevilla, Arcos, Cadiz, Algeciras, Ronda, and Granada) and having done a similar route via train and buses the pros and cons of both. First, as you know, if you are comfortable with a stick shift, the rental cost is much much lower and you have far better control of the car especially in the mountains and coming into Granada where you could encounter some snow.

It sounds as if you are traveling solo - so really really check city maps before getting there!

And remember - parking in Sevilla and Granada will require a garage of some sort. Possibly Cadiz too. Ronda, Arcos and Algeciras you might not have as much of a problem. (Unless you are staying places where secure parking is supplied and then that is all a moot point)

The greatest benefit of driving - you can meander at will! smile This allows you to discover wonderful places you are sure to miss on the bus ...

I'm a huge fan of renting a car if like to explore and have the time to deviate from a schedule if the mood strikes ...

#12898 - 08/06/02 10:38 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Cornelio y Puna,
Many thanks for your most thoughtful posts. Cornelio you must be a travel writer because I love your post! Both of you have encouraged me to be fearless and drive. Puna, I wont be going alone,but with my 17 year old son. He's handy with changing a flat and such. I will be driving, and can drive a stick shift.

Saludos,

#12899 - 08/07/02 12:56 PM Re: Seville to Algeciras
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Booklady - I apologize - I now remember seeing one of your posts about taking your son with you on this trip. Absolutely drive - get off the main roads and enjoy another side of Spain!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1623 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments