Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#12257 - 02/27/02 12:29 PM Checked Baggage on Talgo &AVE Trains
GG2 Offline

Loc: Maine USA
We're traveling from Madrid to Malaga next week on a Talgo 200 train, then later in the trip from Seville to Madrid on an AVE train.
On the Renfe website there is the following information about the Talgo and AVE services:

"Each customer is allowed to carry 1 suitcase and 1 briefcase or hand bag on board per ticket, which cannot exceed the measurements of 70x50x25 cm per piece of luggage and must comply with the AVE rules.."
"We remind each customer that you are allowed to carry 1 suitcase and 1 briefcase or hand bag per ticket, and up to 30 minutes before departure, you may check-in another suitcase for free, as long its size and weight does not exceed 90x60x30 cm. and 25Kg."

There will be 4 of us and we each have a small suitcase and small carry-on. The problem is that we also have 2 travel-size golf bags. Does anyone know how strictly Renfe adheres to this policy? We plan to travel in First Class (Preferent) if that makes a difference.
Has anyone had experience with checking bags on a Renfe train?
I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can share.
Thanks.

GG

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#12258 - 02/27/02 01:10 PM Re: Checked Baggage on Talgo &AVE Trains
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
GG2, I took the Madrid - Seville AVE train in November 2000. My boyfriend and I each had huge, enormous backpacks and I had a carry-on bag too. They had a rack in the train car where you could put your bag, I think it was overhead, I don't remember. Anyways, we didn't have to check our bags at all and nobody looked twice. I would GUESS that you could carry your golf bags on the train. (We didn't mean to break the rules, we just didn't know any better.) Good luck, have fun. Have a lock for your golf bags just in case.

#12259 - 03/29/02 05:05 PM Re: Checked Baggage on Talgo &AVE Trains
GG2 Offline

Loc: Maine USA
We're back and had no problems with all our baggage on the AVE or any other trains. The four of us had 4 small suitcases plus 2 golf bags and 3 daypacks. No one ever gave our baggage a second look anywhere on the system. We always boarded as soon as possible and found plenty of space for storage in the end of the car or over our seats.
GG

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2331 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments