Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10689 - 03/01/01 08:04 PM Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
jbering Offline

Has anyone taken a guided tour to Seville, Toledo, or Avila? I am interested in doing this, but don't know if it's worth it. Should I just take the train or bus and explore on my own?

#10690 - 03/02/01 01:24 PM Re: Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
When my parents went with us to Spain last year, my brother-in-law purchased a guided tour for us to Toledo, I was a bit skeptical at first, having gone there on my own many times, but since this was my parents first trip, maybe they would like it....To my surprise, it was worth it...Not only did my parents get to know some Spanish history they were not familiar with, but I learned something new as well and the guide spoke great English...
Now, I prefer to do the "on your own" thing, but sometimes having a history buff instead of a guidebook is worth it.
So, if your interested in the quided tour, there is an office int he Plaza del Oriente across from the Palacio Royal, but i'm sure there are many more around town.

[This message has been edited by laduque (edited 03-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by laduque (edited 03-02-2001).]

#10691 - 03/02/01 01:36 PM Re: Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
jbering Offline

Thanks for the information! Where is this tourist office (Madrid)? Do you know how much it costs? Is it alright if I bought the ticket the day of the trip?

#10692 - 03/02/01 07:33 PM Re: Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
In December, I also took the tour from Madrid to Toledo. The tour guide was very friendly and informative. The Pullmantur Travel Agency is at Plaza De Orient 8 and the trip cost 5650 Ptas. They also offer tours to Segovia, Escorial, Valle De Los Caidos etc. I bought the tickets the day before but you probably can buy tickets the morning of the tour. I believe most of the tours left around 8:00 AM.

#10693 - 06/28/01 06:36 PM Re: Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I just got an email from someone in Ireland (??) asking for a website/phone number of pullmantur and I can't believe this operation doesn't have a website YET! Kind of frustrating! I thought this was a big-time company? confused mad I did a search here and on www.Google.com and STILL haven't found anything!

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10694 - 06/29/01 04:22 AM Re: Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Stephen Drake-Jones have had a lot of problems with professinal guide tours because he is not accredited as a profesional guide and he doesn't have a travel agency either.

Even if his tours are the best, I think it's not fair for someone to work as a guide without getting a qualification and, what is more important, without paying any taxes. Professional guides have to study and pass and exam, and then pay taxes for the work they do. Also, if you want to organise tours, you have to set up a travel agency to make your business illegal. I don't find it fair at all to compete with professional guides / agencies by not paying any taxes.

It's the same case with some illegal hostels in Madrid. They don't pay any taxes (and they are not subjected to any control) but they do charge you as if they were a legal one. In my opinion, if they are some rules we all have to follow them.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Antonio ]

#10695 - 10/27/01 09:12 AM Re: Guided Tours to towns near Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Julia Tours is one of the three companies operating guided tours around Madrid. There you'll find the information about all the different tours they offer.

Remember that you can buy them at your hostel/hotel.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2294 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments