Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11549 - 08/15/01 08:37 AM Point-to-point in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I recently returned from Spain. I did a loop Madrid-Sevilla-Barcelona-Santander-Madrid in about 11-days. Here's what it cost me (in pesetas) with no railpass:
Madrid-Sevilla: AVE (turista-llano) 10.100
Sevilla-Barcelona: all-Preferente Talgo Hotel Tren 20.100

Barcelona-Santander: (ViaCarsa Bus) 6.250

Santander-Madrid: (Continental-Auto bus) 3.400

Total ESP 39.850
less than $250 USD

The Hotel Tren cost more because it was individual occupancy in a compartment with two-beds.
If I had a railpass I would have had to pay a supplement for the AVE and the sleeping compartment on the hotel train (ESP 10.000).
The Hotel Tren is an all-Preferente Talgo.

I provide this info just in case anyone out there is comparing prices to see if a railpass is justified. I was not eligible for a youth discount or for the discount you get for 2-people traveling together. For me point to point was the most convenient and economical way to go. Note that I used buses on the Barcelona-Santander and Santander-Madrid segments. I also used buses extensively in Andalucia and Cantabria. For convenience sake I rode the FEVE (Ferrocaril español de via estrecha) Santander-Limpias (I returned by bus: Limpias-Laredo and Laredo-Santander). That way I arrived Limpias (around 10:15), visited the Church where Cristo de Limpias is, walked back down the hill to the crossroads and caught the 12:20 bus to Laredo. rolleyes

#11550 - 08/16/01 03:27 AM Re: Point-to-point in Spain
radiohead Offline

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Eddie- What do you mean by the discount of 2 traveling together? Do you mean double rates are less in a hostel or is there even some other discounts I am not aware of? And what about youth discounts. What are those? How about student discounts? Others than Eddie are also free to answer wink

#11551 - 08/16/01 05:18 AM Re: Point-to-point in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The discount for two travelling together was in reference to railpasses: There's a big discount on a second railpass if both people travel together for the life of the passes.

I understand there is also a youth discount on railpasses, but since I am not eligible I don't know the details. cool

#11552 - 08/16/01 09:26 PM Re: Point-to-point in Spain
JJB Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Hi radiohead,

Try RailEurope.com , there is a lot of information on youth and 2-people traveling together discounts plus combination of countries passes.

JJB wink

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11553 - 08/20/01 08:59 PM Re: Point-to-point in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
What great information Eddie- exactly the kind of details I am interested in, since I am still in the "how much money do I need to save" phase.

Thanks!!!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2542 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments