Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11477 - 07/12/01 03:36 PM Iberia shuts down!
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
According to breaking news reports this evening in Spain, Iberia Airlines will suspend all flights as of 12:01 AM Friday the 13th!
Management has stated that because of the extremely negative attitude of the pilots, they don't want to risk the safety of their passengers!

#11478 - 07/12/01 04:01 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Rine Offline

Loc: Chicago
Since I am booked on an Iberia flight leaving Chicago for Madrid on July 14th, I hope your message is some terrible Friday 13th joke! Please, someone, assuage my worries eek

#11479 - 07/12/01 04:09 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I confirm it.

According to TV news Iberia has cancelled all flights from 00:00 hours of the 13th of July ahead. By now it's not known when they will begin to operate normally (but probably at least a couple of days).

The reasons are that a hundred managers which were also pilots had resigned of their posts (it may be or may be not linked to the strikes). This is really disgusting...

#11480 - 07/12/01 04:43 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Rine Offline

I called American Airlines (they booked me on the Iberia flight) and they say that the strike is only affecting flights within Spain, not international flights. I hope that is true. Anyone hear differently?

#11481 - 07/12/01 06:23 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
victoria Offline

Loc: Canary Islands
Sorry to say, but I've just seen a Telecinco news report here in Spain, and this suspension affects all Iberia flights. They said that this is some 600 flights, nearly half of which are international.

#11482 - 07/12/01 07:19 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
victoria Offline

Loc: Canary Islands
An addition to the previous: All code-sharing flights for the moment are still operating plus Binter Canarias.

#11483 - 07/12/01 08:35 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Rine Offline

Victoria, thank you for the good news from the Canaries. American Airlines is still not responding to the news, so I am starting to make backup plans. Better safe than sorry smile

#11484 - 07/13/01 04:16 AM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The mediareports that the new conflict (the pilots who resigned, who took care of executive matters) is solved by now, and the programmed flights will go on as scheduled. Those not affected before this new episode.

I would like somebody to confirm this for the travellers.
laugh

#11485 - 07/13/01 02:51 PM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Pilots used their last weapon to force the company into accepting their conditions, so the pilots dedicated to coordinate Iberia's operations(around 100) resigned. The answer was the closing at 12:00. At 3:00am today, the goverment stated to both parties that the situation could be declared a National emergency unless they inmediately got into the path the law sets for these conflicts. Basically they have 2 days to find an independent advisor (accepted by both parties) that will decide in 4 days on the subject with no appeal possible. If they fail on doing this, the goverment will appoint an advisor of their confidence.

In fact the goverment was seriously advising both company and the union of the potential consequences for both of them of putting at risk the future of the main industry of the country for such a small question.

At 5:00am Iberia resumed operations as it nothing has happened, flights of today have been smooth as ever.....To continue...

#11486 - 07/14/01 04:55 AM Re: Iberia shuts down!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Renfe joined in yesterday... took an hour to get home mad

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2033 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments