Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#11394 - 06/17/01 01:00 AM Car or train?
Peg Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I'm coming to Madrid in a couple of weeks and can't decide if I should rent a car or take the train. I will have my 2 daughters wih, 18 & 15, We start in Madrid and want to take in Salamanca, Seville, Granada, Toledo and maybe Ronda. Is it to faar to drive. We arrive July 4 and leave July 13.Peg

#11395 - 06/17/01 02:10 AM Re: Car or train?
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
I have rented a car a few times in Spain. It is not difficult to find your way from city to city and a car gives you alot of flexability (as well as the ability to go off the beaten path without loosing alot of time). Since you are only going to be in Spain for 9 days, I don't think you want to waste too much time waiting on train schedules etc. The cities you mentioned are easy drives from Madrid. I recommend that you schedule your rental period for when you are leaving Madrid and I don't suggest you use the rent car in Madrid (parking is difficult). Have fun!

#11396 - 06/17/01 09:56 AM Re: Car or train?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Peg,

Get an International Drivers License through a AAA office. That will take care of any questions on having a legitimate license.

Where from in Wisconsin? I'm in Birchwood (near Rice Lake) now for the summer, and have lived in Racine, Waupaca, and in the Chilton area. Did I mention we'd moved around a bit? rolleyes

Wolf

#11397 - 06/17/01 10:56 AM Re: Car or train?
Peg Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I'm from Green Bay, but before you ask I grew up inChicago and we livedin MN for a while. Can I get the Int Drivers LIc on line? Peg

#11398 - 06/17/01 01:38 PM Re: Car or train?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Peg,

I don't think so. You have to go to a AAA office, and fill out the forms.

GB.... great! Go Pack go!

I bleed green & gold like a few others out here in our group. Of course there's a few Vikings fans around but we do ignore them laugh

Now... If you're a Bears fan, I just thought I'd mention that they are figured to end up in last place in the division this year... where they belong laugh

By the way. We live in Rockford now, did live in Northfield & Glenview in the Chicago area years ago...

Wolf (Who will be eating those Viking/Bear comments if the Pack finishes behind them both rolleyes )

#11399 - 06/18/01 12:40 PM Re: Car or train?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've rented a car three times to drive around and have never regretted it, even in light of having done train travel exclusively on other trips.

You'll find that the freedom offered by a car is invaluable if you want to make it a late morning, change your itinerary suddenly, etc. You can come and go as you please.

Driving distances shouldn't be too lengthy, and there are always intermediate stops along the way that you completely miss on the train. Parking in smaller cities isn't an issue either. Heck, I found parking within meters of my hotel in downtown Madrid!

One note on this though: As I am from Minnesota , my head is not filled 85% with cheese, therefore I am capable of amazing intellectual feats of planning and travel. laugh You shouldn't have too much trouble, though. Between you and Wolf you can work it out. :p

Welcome to the board, Peg...and happy trails!

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: CaliBasco ]

#11400 - 06/18/01 12:59 PM Re: Car or train?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Having a car gives you freedom of movement, and you won't be at the whim of Renfe. However, if you are confining yourself to just one large city, skip the car.

Wisconsin? Where is that? I hear that thar railroad is a comin' through any day now! Next you'll have them horseless carriages!
laugh

#11401 - 06/24/01 08:07 AM Re: Car or train?
Ellis Offline

Loc: Tel Aviv, Israel
We did not rent a car - and I am not upset about this at all.

In Madrid - Metro and bus travel were great - we had no problem getting around quickly. When I saw how Spaniards drive, and (double) park, I was glad that I left my driving license at home.

Also found that bus / train service to Toledo, Cordoba, Sevilla, Granada and Segovia was great.

We lost no time by taking the very comfortable public transportation - and I was able to relax on the long journeys instead of having to stay awake at the wheel.

Best,
Ellis

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Ellis ]

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Ellis ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1417 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments