Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11270 - 05/31/01 11:15 AM Traffic signals
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Hi everyone,
I need to find the traffic signals that are used in Spain. Do you know if there is a website with such information? I tried AAA, terra.es, yahoo.es, altavista.com... and couldn't find it frown
Any hel would be highly appreciated smile

#11271 - 05/31/01 11:29 AM Re: Traffic signals
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Signs? You don't need to look at signs in Spain. Just aim your car in the general direction you want to go and depress that long-ish pedal all the way to the floor. Repeat as necessary.

#11272 - 05/31/01 12:08 PM Re: Traffic signals
Luces de Bohemia Offline

That I already know laugh but I need them for a friend who is very concern about tickets rolleyes

#11273 - 05/31/01 12:38 PM Re: Traffic signals
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
As Asterault says - the longer pedal helps you go - the one adjacent is for stop. Unless, of course, your friend is driving a stick-shift. rolleyes Seriously, stop signs are shaped just like in the US - and are often red nd say STOP (in English)- a curvey arrow translates into twisting road- again - like in this country ... Tell your friend common sense is all it takes

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: Puna ]

#11274 - 05/31/01 01:02 PM Re: Traffic signals
PacoM Offline

You might want to take a look at Centro de Información para Conductores www.conductores.net
It has loads of info, but it is only in Castellano.

Sorry, I forgot to add the following instructions: at the site click on Profe, then Exámenes, then Catálogo Oficial de Señales Verticales de Circulación, and then
Art. 149. Objeto y tipos

Hope this helps

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11275 - 05/31/01 01:08 PM Re: Traffic signals
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Go to http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/english/traffic/

Scroll down to Spain. The first two links give you the legal information. The third is a complete set of traffic signs used in Spain, but with little explanation.

Other sites: http://www.alltravelspain.com/Spain/Car_Rental/Driving_Tips.htm
http://www-afsc.saia.af.mil/AFSC/RDBMS/Ground/feedback/driving/spain.htm

#11276 - 05/31/01 01:12 PM Re: Traffic signals
Luces de Bohemia Offline

Thanks! That's what I told him. I go to Spain very often and I didn't see big differences between the signals, but my friend has this idea that Spain is like a very different country (he said third world country eek ) where if you make a mistake you'll go to jail and they would treat you like sh... He says he knows because his father lived in Torrejon many years in the past (he was a militar in the Torrejon base) and Spaniards hated Americans and always found a way to f... them (sorry for the language, but these are the actual words he used) Hopefully he'll change his mind in this trip. If you wonder why he is going to Spain is business related.

thanks everybody for your help!

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#11277 - 05/31/01 02:07 PM Re: Traffic signals
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
In the states you are used to looking straight out ahead to see when the lights change...but in Spain you actually stop on the street with the lights directly above the car! You can't see them at all! But you must look to the side mounted on the side of the street pole is a smaller set of lights to tell you what to do...this takes awhile to get used to!

Leche

#11278 - 05/31/01 07:33 PM Re: Traffic signals
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
One type of sign to keep in mind is the "no passing" sign...along with the dashed center line, you will find a sign with two cars, side by side, and a diagonal slash (like a no smoking sign) through them. When passing is allowed, you get that sign with no slash. We found this very helpful on two-lane roads, particularly out in the country. We LOVED driving in Spain, though, and found it to be remarkably easy. Signs are pretty intuitive, though the "do not enter/wrong way" sign is a good one to brush up on--it's a round sign with a horizontal slash through it. Its opposite is a sign with an arrow. In some small towns, there is literally ONE route through town, all one way, because of the narrow streets. Even where there are turns, you often only can choose one of them (marked with an arrow--and the others will have the horizontal line sign).

Another good sign--the one with coins being dropped into a box--it means you have to pay to park. Look for a pay box, put in some pesetas, and you'll get a ticket saying how long you can stay there. You display the ticket on your windshield. None of those pesky parking meters to deal with, and no scrambling for change.

And as for Spain being a third-world country, I think a lot of Americans think that. Remember, all many of them knew of Spain up until the late 1970s was that there was a dictator and that there had been a horrific war. Many have never heard of the movida, the great culture and history, and the incredibly welcoming natives!! Heck, many think they eat burritos and nachos all day long there, and I remember telling a friend (named Nacho) that his name referred to a corn chip...he LAUGHED and laughed!! I like disabusing people of some of those misconceptions, and a long, lovely visit to Spain is the best way for that to happen!

#11279 - 06/03/01 08:51 AM Re: Traffic signals
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
When I was studying english in California, years ago. The family I was staying with decided to avoid any homesickness syndrom I may have, so they took me to this very genuine mexican restaurant.

First time in my life I was facing a taco meal, plus the first time I was facing real hot food. I've always thought that "gambas al ajillo" were hot, not after that.

I don't need to tell you we all drowned in laughter with me, and all my spanish politeness pose pretended I was not drop-sweating on the table....

Americans thinking Spain is a 3rd world country....good topic, but I think that it is a lot more uncommon that it was let'say, ten years ago. At that time, there was a lot fun stories colected by spanish students in the US about the issues you get questioned about.

in 1990 We got questions like, do you have shoes?. Is there electricity?. There was also the advanced level, Do you have washing machines?..Microvawe ovens?. Now questions are a lot more reasonable.

Nevertheless like in any country there is a huge difference between people that has travelled and hasn't.

Regarding the Torrejon people story just remember that in any stories there are always at least two sides...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2201 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments