Hi, folks--
I have been meaning to share a good find--at www.microsoie.com you can buy silk handkerchiefs or scarves with maps of Madrid on them. I took one along on a recent trip to Spain, and it made a great (and discreet) pocket map. The detail isn't the best (not all streets are named, only the more important ones), but it'll get you from place to place in central Madrid and has the metro stops marked. Now that I'm home, I carry it in my coat pocket as a souvenir (silk isn't good for blowing noses, and I wouldn't blow my nose on Madrid anyway--especially since I have about 20 little packets of tissues left from Spain--hooray for good 3-ply Spanish tissues!)

And no, I'm not connected to the company or printing these in my basement--I found the info in a travel mag and kept the web address. They also have maps of other major travel destinations, in two sizes. They look a lot like the old bomber jacket linings with WWII-era maps of Europe. The small ones are about $10, and are sent from Canada. I have heard you can also find these at bookstore chains, but I haven't checked locally.

If you have hesitated to pull out a gigantic map while standing in Sol, these might be a good idea!
Tara

[This message has been edited by taravb (edited 03-18-2001).]