Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#10108 - 11/11/00 05:34 PM easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Starting on December 15th, easyRentacar will be renting cars at its new branch in Madrid.

I heard they offer good prices but the conditions are not so good. If anyone is familiar with rental cars, please post here your opinion about this company.

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10109 - 11/12/00 06:15 AM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Antonio

Thanks for that info. We will be flying easyJet next summer to Madrid and hiring a car to get to the North of the country, so may well look into using easyRentacar.

You say the conditions aren't so good - can you let me know about this. Do you mean the way they need to check everything when you return the car etc etc?

I hope it works as well as their flights - I'm a real fan.

Thanks.

Jo-Anne

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

#10110 - 11/12/00 12:01 PM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Jo-Anne,

I meant I heard easyRentacar has lots of hidden charges or things that are unusual in a rental car company.

But I know nothing about renting cars and that's why I was asking for opinions on this company's conditions.

Anyway, think that, no matter what they say, a company always try to make a lot of money from its customers. You shouldn't expect them to be your friends, but you can take advantage of their offers ;-).

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#10111 - 11/22/00 03:27 AM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Mobester Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I have to say having only one type of car is a real downer not to mention easycar rates are not inclusive of unlimited mileage, cdw (essential in Europe) and has no Madrid airport drop off

I have researched just about every form of car hire in Madrid and my unbiased recommendations go to Holiday Autos in the UK and www.carjet.com located in Spain

#10112 - 11/22/00 04:34 PM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Here you will find the explanation of the easyRentacar's way of doing business.

Quote:
By offering one type of car at each of our locations, we avoid the expense of maintaining a range of cars that people only occasionally need

Also, they are taking advantage of the economies of scale. At the begining, they bought 5000 Mercedes Class A cars. I'm sure they got a higher discount than if they had bought 500 cars of 10 different models.

Quote:
By operating from convenient locations with good transportation links, we avoid high-rent locations, such as on-airport sites, that would cause us to charge substantially higher prices

That's the same reason why easyJet flies from small airports (such as Luton) instead of big ones. They got charged less for landing / taking off.

Quote:
By setting a free mileage allowance, we ensure that those people who wish to travel higher distances meet the cost of doing so

This one has to do with the "dynamic" fare system that all companies of the easyGroup have (though I don't like it).

I understand the first two reasons. As for the rest of their conditions / policies, I don't know whether they are fair or not.

Regards,

Antonio

#10113 - 11/23/00 08:48 AM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
You might want to bear in mind the following which I copied from this week's UK Sunday Times

'Easy' refutes claims

EasyRentacar reacted angrily last week to claims that it had mistakenly charged customers for damaging its vehicles. It also refuted claims that it was overcharging, saying that a £100 bill to repair a scratch on a hubcap was justified.
The response followed a barrage of complaints from Sunday Times readers who insist they have been wrongly charged for minor damage. Michael White of Edgware, Middlesex, rented a car for a day in Nice and drove it less than 40 miles. "I didn't even need to fill it up with petrol. I took it back undamaged and the next thing I knew, my credit card had been debited an extra £100," he said. White claims he rang EasyRentacar's premium-rate customer line five times, but his calls were not returned. He only received a response when he told his credit-card company to withhold payment.

Iain Glover of Bournemouth, Kathleen Parker of Harrogate, Graham Howard of Herts, and Yoshi Nishio of London, all reported similar incidents over the summer. Parker says: "It seemed very cheap, just £9 a day, but not when you are charged an extra £100."

A spokesman for EasyRentacar responded to the complaints by saying: "The rest of the car-hire industry writes off damages. We're trying a different approach - if you damage a car, you pay for it."

It insisted it did not profit from repair bills. "Our vehicles are Mercedes A-Class. If you take one to a Mercedes dealer, even with a scratch to a hubcap, you don't get much change from £100." It said returning customers can insist on having their vehicles inspected in their presence - but they may have to wait while staff issue cars to others first.

#10114 - 11/23/00 03:14 PM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Anchovy Front,

It seems that it's true. easyRentacar is not a good rental car company at all.

As you may have read from one of my recent posts, they are charging too much at the easyEverything shop in Madrid.

Uhm, I don't think they're going to make a lot of money if they start riping off people in such a way.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Antonio

#10115 - 12/19/00 04:48 AM Re: easyRentacar opens new location in Madrid
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Here's an update on the easyRentacar saga. Stay tuned.......... http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2000/12/17/stitrldrc01004.html

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2717 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments