Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10160 - 11/29/00 08:04 PM Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
mjames8258 Offline

Loc: houston, texas u.s.a.
In March I will be going to Madrid. I was wondering if anybody had taken the train from Madrid to Gibraltar. I would like to take the ferry (or whatever) across for probably a day trip in Morocco. Can anybody recommend or disuade?

#10161 - 11/30/00 06:04 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
It's possible to take a train (overnight sleeper for 6.700 Pts or the 08.15 Talgo - 6 hours - for 9.300 Pts www.renfe.es ) to Algeciras, which is across the bay from Gibraltar and to take a ferry from there to Tangier or Ceuta. There are plenty of day trips available with guided tour of the city, lunch (with belly dancer!) and ferry included for about $35. Or do it yourself, of course, but get a guide as soon as you get there, or you will be constantly pestered by all and sundry which could spoil your day.

In my opinion Gibraltar is a scruffy overcrowded place, which could be worth a visit just to say you've been there, as obviously there is a big history to the place. There are caves, a cable car going up the rock with the famous barbary apes half way up, but leaving that aside it is a place looked on by most people as one they wouldn't go back to! Hmm, as I say, my opinion. I wonder what the opinion is of others who have visited the bit of rock which we Brits wouldn't mind giving up now, but will only happen if the majority of Gibraltarians (Spanish speaking!!) agree!

#10162 - 11/30/00 09:05 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
First and ONLY time I went to Gibralter was a student bumming aroung around Europe for a couple of years .... way back then the Rock was way over-rated. In all honesty, I don't think I have ever met anyone who has said "I want to go back to Gibralter". Last time I was in Sevilla we had met a Canadian couple who made (and I quote) the "mistake of actually spending a night there". Need I say more? Take a look at the rock and stay in Spain!!!!

#10163 - 11/30/00 09:43 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Puna, how/when did you go to Gibraltar? By train? How was the trip?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#10164 - 11/30/00 11:59 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Thumb out and hitch-hiking was my main form of transportation! Like I said - it was a while ago. Seriously - anyone thinking about taking a car would be well advised not to - the Canadian couple I mentioned early said driving was he** on Gibralter - the primary sight-seeing road is very steep and harrowing. Re getting there - would think Algeciras would be about the best hopping off spot ....

#10165 - 11/30/00 12:55 PM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

You're right about the driving in Gib. It's very narrow in places and not worth the worry. The best way to see the place is by parking up in Spain, and then walk across and get a taxi on the Gibraltar side, as the drivers make good guides and don't rip the tourists off in general.

Unfortunately it's that time of the year again, when we make our dreaded trip there! Why? The shops are great for Christmas gifts and food, although the strength of the pound against the peseta makes it comparatively expensive, compared to a few years ago for the likes of myself, whose income is in pesetas.

It will be an hour's queue to get across the border and at least the same to get out, but there are some things we can't buy in Spain that we would normally miss at Christmas, so we make the effort!

By the way, Puna, I saw from another post you live in Boston. I've only been to the USA twice and the last time was in Boston a couple of years ago and since then I can't wait to get back there. Brilliant city! Do you want to swap houses sometime? (He says, only half-joking!)

#10166 - 11/30/00 02:03 PM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Anchovy Front - ANY DAY - ANY TIME - IS TOMORROW TO SOON? Let me know when you want to visit Boston -I'll swap houses or find you a place gratis (I live in a great location but after owning houses - I feel the apartment is small). You're right - Boston is a good city; what time of the year where you here?
What's the weather like today in Malaga (you're in that area I believe) - Boston is verging on snow - is there any remote possibility you would like a house-guest soon?

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 11-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Puna (edited 11-30-2000).]

#10167 - 11/30/00 02:48 PM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Hey, don't you want to come to L.A? Stay in my furnitureless apartment?

Why don't we all just go meet over in MAlaga? I am sure you won't mind a few hundred guests, right Anchovy?

#10168 - 11/30/00 05:41 PM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Hi folks-
Those on another thread here have me almost convinced to head south during my trip to Spain next week. Assuming I'm based out of Sevilla or Malaga, would visiting Gibraltar take an entire day? Would it be worth it? I speak as a US/UK hybrid who has some interest in seeing the remnants of the Empire. But if it's just a rock with monkeys on it . . .

Cheers-

Mark

#10169 - 12/01/00 06:05 AM Re: Madrid - Gibraltar via Renfe
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Wow Puna! I may just hold you to that! It is exactly two years to the day when my wife and I arrived at Logan International. We only had four nights but loved every minute! What's more, I'd won the trip (including business class flights!) in a competition on our local English language radio station in Marbella! It was c-c-c-old, but we didn't care - it made a change! The weather here today is a bit cloudy and about 20º and a couple of days ago it was 26º and tourists were on the beaches.

Nicole, I've started putting tents up in the local park to cope with the influx of visitors!

Mark, do not go to Gibraltar!! (The tourist office will send the apes after me no doubt, but when time is at a premium, don't waste it!)

MadridMan, sorry for sliding off the topic! Won't do it again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2369 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments